5.0 question

1fun281

Mar 16, 2009
Atlanta Georgia
my question is there is a 95 gt for sale by my house for pretty cheap, problem is it has 140,000 miles on it. My question is it worth it? i talked to the guy selling it we started it up and it fired up perfectly fine first try no noises and no smoke, and we opened the hood and its pretty clean.
sorry for the long post but my main question is that mileage trustable?
it is all stock and the exterior is clean, and interior is ok.
i am just wondering how strong a 5.0 is and is that mileage to high for it to be good or what?

• Sponsors (?)

What would your plans be for the car? As long as you don't plan on using a power adder, There should be plenty of life left in the engine. I wouldn't be scared of that mileage, if it has been maintained properly. I also agree, get a carfax.

If you think your post was long, clearly you haven't seen some of mine. :D

A well-kept 302 can last well over 150k miles easily. I've had one (in a '90 Town Car) that hadn't even had the valve covers pulled off at 200k miles. My '84 is creeping up on 200k and (far as I can tell) it's the original motor in front of a rebuilt tranny; my '89 was supposedly rebuilt around 150k (and swapped from an AOD to a T-5 trans) and had the dog-snot beat out of it by a string of prior owners before I got it, and it's still pluggin' along at somewhere around 275k right now. So, there IS longevity potential in these cars if they're treated right ... and even if they're not, they can put up with a fair amount of abuse and still keep going (within reason).

Just as well, if some douchebag throws a 250-shot at it and beats the ever-loving piss out of it on a daily basis, or doesn't think to change the oil more than once a year, or has a bad habit of missing shifts and over-revving it, or things like that ... ANY motor would be lucky to even last 50k. The rest of the car usually will show how it was treated. "Clean" is a relative term; just because someone vacuumed/waxed it, hit the interior with some Armor All, and sprayed the tires with some shiny stuff before putting it up for sale, it doesn't necessarily mean the car was well-kept.

"Is it worth it?" Depends. Is it worth buying? Sure, if the price is right. Is it worth $x,xxx? Dunno. Compare it to what other cars of similar years and options and in similar condition are going for in your area. Kelley Blue Book and NADA can go suck it - they're meaningless numbers when dealing with cars over 10 years old, IMO, especially when it comes to sports cars/trucks. Is it worth buying TO YOU? That's something only you can answer, yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for a '94-'95 GT with 140k miles on it, especially if it's an automatic or a 'vert. That's just me, though. And that's a broad generalization. If it was a Cobra, or if the car had a lot of well-done mods, or really low miles, or some other kind of outstanding feature(s), then the price range might go up a bit, but not something stupid like $10k for an average-mileage car with a few bolt-ons and a blower. Just shop around and use common sense. :shrug:

thanks for all the input guys and yea i forgot to mention the price he only wants 2900 for it. And i understand what you were saying about something being clean, thats why i was asking an opinion but we started the engine up it ran perfectly fine with no noise or smoke or anything revved was still perfectly fine and the engine looked taken care of but yes i agree with you guys i will car fax it before i do any big decisions, another way i was looking at it was if i plan on doing any big mods, liek a heads/cam/intake combo it wouldnt really matter how many miles are on the engine after that right?
or does it not work like that?

Did you actually DRIVE it? Just starting the thing and revving the motor is only going to tell you about 1/3 of what's up with the car, really ... unless you plan on replacing the entire suspension, brake system, and transmission and could care less about whether those parts are worth a hoot. :shrug:

First off.... In this economy its only worth what someone is willing to pay. But $2900 seems like a fair price. If it is well maintained. But it seems that it only caught your attenion because its close by. So do your searching But if you really like and want it, and if I was you I would drive for a little bit. (not around the block and back). Go on the interstate and in stop-and-go traffic. See if the car overheats, Bad vibrations, etc... And when you do drive it, get on it. If he has nothing to hide and you can prove you have the cash then he should have no problem with you doing what you want.

We have a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 hatchback with over 222,000 miles. It was ordered from factory and purchased in February 1988.
It just goes to show you how well it is taken care of and how well built the 5.0 engine is. Now I wish the Insurance company knew since they appraised this car at 2,155 and other than needing a new fender, hood and headlights it is in pristine condition especially the rest of body with original paint and interior. All factory stock still runs strong.:nice:

im still waiting to find out im only 18 and now its basically down to if my parents allow me to get it even if i pay for it, i have a steady job making more then most 18 year olds i know, and plenty of money saved and coming my way but this weekend ill prob be looking at it with a friend who is over in 4.6 talk and has built his own 4.6 and knows what to look for

im still waiting to find out im only 18 and now its basically down to if my parents allow me to get it even if i pay for it, i have a steady job making more then most 18 year olds i know, and plenty of money saved and coming my way but this weekend ill prob be looking at it with a friend who is over in 4.6 talk and has built his own 4.6 and knows what to look for

Mustangs with V-8's prove deadly with young drivers especially in the rain with this particuliar car. That why our car survived 21 years:nice:

Because you're young and drive a v-8 mustang doesnt mean you're gonna die. It depends on the person, I've had my car since I was 15, am now 21 and I've never been in one accident. You have to learn to respect the car though or it'll take you for a ride.

yea im young but i consider myself safe im not one of those retarded 18 year olds swirving in and out of traffic, i respect mustangs to much to treat it like that. i mean i would get on it sometimes on straight aways but thats about it besides at the track
i have a clean record no tickets never been pulled over never been in an accident and been driving almost 3 years now. im one of those teens that actually respects the car

yea im young but i consider myself safe im not one of those retarded 18 year olds swirving in and out of traffic, i respect mustangs to much to treat it like that. i mean i would get on it sometimes on straight aways but thats about it besides at the track
i have a clean record no tickets never been pulled over never been in an accident and been driving almost 3 years now. im one of those teens that actually respects the car

Perhaps you are an exception to the rule but from what we see alot of these teens trash these cars and no matter who drives the fox body Mustang it is deadly in the rain it wants to fishtail or oversteer.

SN's are nowhere near as bad as the foxes when it comes to rain and such becaues they are heavier. Last night I got caught in the rain with my "new" 88 GT and I was reminded of how much of a handfull they can be in the rain especially when compared to my truck. The stock contol arms and such are so flimsy that once you do start to lose control it's more difficult to regain control. IMO, UCA's and LCA's aftermarket replacements is a safety issue as much as performance.

Either way, if you get this car be extra carefull in slippery conditions.