5.0 questions

JMart

Aug 2, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I'm the proud owner of a new 5.0 and I have a few questions. My first questions is of course exhaust. What is the popular opinion around here? What are most guys running on the S-197 Mustangs? Next one is tuners. I know SCT with custom tunes but how are the dealers with the warranty if you tune them? I had an 08 6.4 Power Stroke that was tuned and straight piped that was putting down just under 500 hp on the rollers. I had to spend about 4 hours returning it to stock for any warranty work. It couldn't even have a CAI or cat back exhaust on it or they would void the warranty. Are dealers that picky with the Mustangs?

Any other things I should know or comments are appreciated.

Here's a pic of the Mustang and the truck.
528ab65c.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it shouldn't take 4 hours to "de-tune" your car if you have to take it to the dealer. Dealers are always picky whenever it saves them or the company money. As far as mufflers, I'm sure someone will chime in. Like the 3 valves were different sounding than the 2 valves, the new 5.0 will probably work with certain set-ups better than others.

SWEET CAR!! Exhaust is subjective the best thing to do is find some Mustangs with different mufflers and listen. My dealer doesn't really care about bolt on's he knows me so he knows I know what I'm doing, as for swapping stuff out a CAI take 15 minutes to swap and tune uploads in less then a minute, much easier then the Power Stroke.

nice 5.0,i want 1 very bad but might have to wait till next year, i have a superchips on my 2002 f350 7.3 diesel, it tows anything you put behind it, never no problems with it ever, been on since 2004, i would wait to put one on yours for mabye 1 year or so, get the motor broke in some, then mod the hell out of it.

Completely depends on the dealer. Some with allow boltons and some won't. Just know before hand. Taking the CAI out and changing the tune should take 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the return to on the truck was installing the stock exhaust. The DPF/DOC combo weighed probably 100 lbs and thats not easy to get up in a truck around all the skid plates and such. Plus the have to drop the spare and heat shield to get the factory tail pipe back on and swap over all the sensors. It was such a PITA that Im glad I got rid of it. The tuner itself to 30 min to swap tunes or 15 min to go back to stock.

I plan on waiting awhile this time before I do any warranty risky mods. I will probably just be running an axle back exhaust for awhile.

First, :welcome: to :SNSign:

Second, research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and know your rights. A dealer can not legally void your warranty for aftermarket performance items being installed. If the part did not cause the failure of whatever you're having serviced, they are required by law to honor the warranty.

Third, I want your car. :D