5.4 in a 4.6 stang?

Joes01ZQ8

Jun 14, 2005
Could someone tell me whether or not the 5.4 motor is interchangable with the 4.6 mustangs? A customer is looking to replacing the 4.6 due to engine failure and was asking about the 5.4. If I'm not mistaken the 5.4 is the same bore with a different stroke. Are there any issues that need to be addressed before the swap? I dont know much about the 4.6 stangs and am looking for info. as to whether or not the swap is possible. Could someone give details about what is different for future reference? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It will fit...An exhuast manifold modification needs to be done on one side but that is it mechanically..

Also, if going with the stock 4.6 PI manifold, you will need to get intake adapters..Some guy sells them on here for around 200.00 or you can have a local machine shop machine them.

See the October 2003 and December 2004 issues of 5.0 Mustang and super Fords for details on this swap.

Also, the "Mod Man" on this site does this sort of swaps in his shop..He has a lot of experience at it.

Different block. Wider and taller. Will need custom intake adapters and to modify the h-pipe. Cna be done, but will also need electronic tuning. There are a couple threads on this. 5.0 Mustangs & Super Fords ran a pair of articles on this swap. They were called 'Size Matters' and 'Size Still Matters'.