5 Lug-5.0

bynummustang

Seen my other Jackstand?
Jul 24, 2005
NC State University
I'm intrested in converting my 4-lug spindles and axles to the 5-lug setup. My question is who has done it? How did you do it, junkyard or buy the new kits? If the junk/salvage yard is the way to go, which cars/trucks can I use as donors? I have a 1990 Lx 5.0.

On a different note, is the swap even worth it? Yes, better brakes, bigger rims, but is it helpfull in any other ways?

• Sponsors (?)

Braking is very very much improved!! Well worth it. Read the above website about 100 times before you make a decision. Research everywhere you can and ask all kinds of questions to anyone that has done a 5-lug swap. You are certainly on the right track but don't rely only on the people's responses here. I went with the Baer kit (many b/c I wanted certain options) and then opted for Saleen rims. If I hadn't wanted this kit for about 5 years then I would have done a junkyard Cobra swap. Good luck. :nice:

TrophyHead said:
First you have to decide on what wheels you want to run.

I'm stilll collecting parts. Just have to pull axels off a 94-98 Mustang.

These axles will make your track width .75" longer on each side. This could be a problem if you intend to run 9" wheels. Also, even w/ 8" and not enough back spacing you will have to roll the fender lip. I would suggest that you look into the ranger or aerostar axles instead. They maintain the stock track width. Also, when going for front spindles, get the 94-95 spindles since the 96+ extend the track width 8mm on each side. Good luck.