5 lug conversion questions?

there is a kit at 50resto.com that you just replace the rotors, axles and drums for 399$. but I think that there is also a kit where one replaces a whole lot of stuff from a sn95. which one is better, has more brake options for later. I also want to know if it is worth it to run disk brakes in the back? Also any one know where there is a kit where one uses the sn-95 stuff. and one more think any and all advice is welcome and wanted, ANY...
thanks,

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

You want the SN95 stuff... a new kit would be $$$ as it would be from Ford, or Baer or some big name.. you want the spindle assembly from an SN95 from the wreckers, easiest way to do it.

The kit your referring to is a completely stock setup with 5lugs.. not much in the "bigger brake" upgrade department i don't think.

actually as we speak i am installing my 5-lug kit from 50 resto.com. I bought it not because i wanted bigger brakes (although i could use them), but the fact taht 5 lug is the bomb digga and looks a whole lot better then the stock 4 lug 10 holes i had on before. To be honest it is a really easy thing to install. For me it took only one hour to complete the rear end swap and now i just have the fronts. ANd all this for only 400 bones, cant beat it, comes with everything you need, all new bearings, and oil.

that link didn't turn up anything.

problem with the 50 resto kit, is it has EXTREMELY limited wheel options. the hub is too big for most of the sn95 wheels such as the bullits, and it's essentially NOT a brake upgrade. ALL it is is lincoln rotors, and aerostar rear axleshafts. Why in hell would you want to pay that much when you could piece it together at the yards for 1/4th the cost?? The better option is the sn95 front brakes. the best years are 94/95, as it won't push your wheels out at all. I payed $75 a side at a wrecking yard. use two aerostar pass rear axles for your 5 lug in back, and bronco 2 or ranger 9 inch drums. the aerostars have ten inch drums, and you can upgrade to the bigger drums if you grab the backing plates too.

http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?section=products/index

if link still does not work here is what it says.

5 LUG CONVERSION for '87-'93or '94-'98 Mustangs. THIS IS FOR 11", INCLUDES used PBR dual piston calipers, used caliper brackets, used rotors, used brake lines, used 1994-95 spindles & used hubs. ***NO COD ON BRAKE CONVERSION KITS

think that this would be good? the only reason that I am thinking about it is the dual piston cals.

notsoswwuyd said:
http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?section=products/index

if link still does not work here is what it says.

5 LUG CONVERSION for '87-'93or '94-'98 Mustangs. THIS IS FOR 11", INCLUDES used PBR dual piston calipers, used caliper brackets, used rotors, used brake lines, used 1994-95 spindles & used hubs. ***NO COD ON BRAKE CONVERSION KITS

think that this would be good? the only reason that I am thinking about it is the dual piston cals.

Looks pretty sweet to me. I'm considering 5 lug conversion in the spring also. That looks like a good deal with good parts.

J.

So long as it includes the rear, I suppose it's not a bad price. Look into shipping, if it's too expensive, I would suggest piecing out the kit yourself locally.

For the spindles try to get ones from a 94-95. 96+ ones work but they push the wheel out something like a half inch on each side so if you're gonna run like a 17x8 or 17x9 it'll probably rub. I did it all on my '92 using sn95 junkyard stuff and it came out great and i think cost me less then $500.

That stangparts $399 front brake kit I can duplicate from my local salvage yards for $125-150. I got a couple of sets for that price over the past year, but most of the time they only have the 96+ spindles, which will work with the 17x8 wheels. Shipping 1/2 way across the country ran around $50 or so.

Take a look on www.car-part.com and see if you can find some parts local to you or close by. Most of the places will ship also. Several guys on here have gotten great deals by doing some searching.

The rears are a bit harder to find in disc, usually places only want to sell the whole rear end.

Good luck!

Front you need spindles, hubs, rotors, pads, calipers, flex lines, adapter for passenger side flex line to hardline, SN95 balljoints or a .330" spacer for the spindle to clear the fox balljoint.. i think thats about it.

Ofcourse you'll need a better MC and booster for the bigger calipers, and a 3-2 port conversion for the MC.

i am doing the sn 95 conversion right now i have 98 spindles, hubs, calipers, and rotors in the front and 96 axleshafts, rotors, calipers, and brakets in the rear along with a 95 GT master cylinder and brake booster. the front is 8mm wider than stock the rear is 3/4in wider so 17x8 is about max with out hitting the fender lips however i have 99 cobra wheels so that is not an issue. the hardest part is changing brake boosters and making new brake lines. (mostly installing the booster) i would have been done tonite but i have a brake line that split and needs to be reflared so looks like i will bleed em and test it out tomorrow :)

the 400 dollar kit will work , just need longer studs and MR gasket makes 7/16th wheel spacers on the front , ive got about 220 bucks in my swap .....bullit wheels cleared fine ......275/40/17s required some beating on the inner wells on the back to clear along with a ding in the 2.5 exhaust pipe and removed quad shocks , front clears fine ......245s up front