5 lug swap brake identification needed

DeathProof88

Dec 11, 2015
PA
Hi guys, can anyone ID these brakes for me please? Previous owner said they were from an SN95 but I want to double check. I want to order pads, rotors, braided lines, and front bleeders (they were stuck and now one needs replacing). Thank you!
1000002999.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002998.jpg
    1000002998.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Sponsors (?)

The front calipers look like the 99-04 PBR units. Easy way to tell is pull one and look for the grinder marks on the spindles that are required for clearance to install those calipers on the 94-98 spindles. This picture shows where it will be ground.

1704639556377.jpeg

The 99-04 spindles can be used on a Fox but they push the front wheels out a bit more than the 94/95 and 96-98 spindles.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
The front calipers do say PBR right on them.. would this complicate how I buy replacement parts? You nailed it too lol

Attachments

• 20240107_134750.jpg
    20240107_134750.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240107_134744.jpg
    20240107_134744.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 39
As said, those are 99-04 GT/V6 calipers and rotors. Cant tell the brake lines from that angle.

Rear setup is standard 94-04 GT/V6 rear brakes as well.

The part number on the spindle indicates those are 96-04 spindles.

It’s a decent brake setup. Good stopping power and fits in smaller rims. Downside is the front calipers are notorious for dragging/sticking.

Reactions: 1 users
As said, those are 99-04 GT/V6 calipers and rotors. Cant tell the brake lines from that angle.

Rear setup is standard 94-04 GT/V6 rear brakes as well.

The part number on the spindle indicates those are 96-04 spindles.

It’s a decent brake setup. Good stopping power and fits in smaller rims. Downside is the front calipers are notorious for dragging/sticking.
Thanks! Perhaps a caliper rebuild is in order as well then. It's been sitting for 10 years now.

Sitting with old brake fluid is actually how they seize up. These calipers are reallly sensitive to that.

You can try a rebuild but when you get it apart you may find you might have to replace it. I’ve actually seen these stick right out of the box.

If you are doing some work, you could also consider a set of cobra 13” brakes. It’s a little bit more work because you might have to change the master cylinder as well, but all depends on that was installed. This would be a nice to have but is not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to sway you from going Cobras……. But I took an eBay set of calipers from old and warn, to like new with a full rebuild. The boots for the pistons are the trickiest part. A few thousand miles on them, and very happy so far. Rears got same treatment as well.
IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

Ran 99 PBR’s for a couple years with Hawk pads with zero issues. Lots of folks made this swap as they are far superior to the single piston 94-98 V6/GT caliper.

The only benefit of the Cobra setup is more heat dissipation through the larger front rotors and slightly large but vented rear rotors. If you are super hard on brakes then that’s the way to go. If you drive the car on the street and are aggressive then the standard SN95 setup is all you need. It’s so far superior to the Fox brakes it’s unreal.

Anyhow that just my opinion. I’ve had about every variation of brakes on my Coupe and currently have the full Cobra setup on it with the 95 GT master cylinder and ABS. Unnecessary for the street but it looks cool.

Last edited:
I do not see the third port on the bottom of the MC so it appears to have been changed from the stock 87-93 unit to either a 1993 Cobra, 94-95 GT, or 94-04 (?) V6 unit.