5 lug swap with 96 spindles

• Sponsors (?)

Much debate, but the 96+ spindles add ~ 8mm to the track width (where the 94/95 keep the stock track width). This can create a problem depending on the wheel width and/or offset you intend to run.

OT - where'd you find the hubs ? I need to get some.

You can use 96 and up spindles,but they will leave the wheel outside the fender. L
Newpics011.jpg

Newpics010.jpg

ook at how my front wheel is outside of the fender...

Attachments

• Newpics011.jpg
    Newpics011.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Newpics010.jpg
    Newpics010.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 154
Same with the 8 inch. I had a set of stock 98 Gt wheels and they noticably stuck out the fender..I will change to 94/95 spindle when I find some..If you just want to do the swap get the 96-up and change later...
Stock rear..The wheels are 9 inch and I dont know the offset. 10th annv Cobra wheels...

webshot said:
no offense but that looks very strange, thats what I am hearing about the 96 spindles. I plan on running a 9in wide tire. And it is said that is not recommended because of what we see there. But a 8in tire may work.

Why risk it? I would suggest you just get the 94/95 spindles. If you don't like the looks you can also put in a small spacer. You obviously can't move the wheel in with the 96+ spindles.

I recommend the 94/95 spindle. I didnt know when I got the conversion kit from the junk yard. I gave $200 for the front and rear conversion. Was dissapointed when I got it together,but I can live with it for now. Until I find the correct spindles.

Kelly

You shouldn't use those 96-04 spindles. The part where the tie rods bolt to stick farther out. I heard you shouldn't use them no matter what. Your tires would where out so fast.

there are benifits to using 96+ spindals

The increased track will give you better cornering...........if your a serious road racer

I am still debating using 96+, or 94-95 spindals. I will be getting into road racing, and would like the 8mm of increased track in the frontend.

Duro

Umm, I had no wear problems on my car, I just got an alignment right when i was finished. i only rode on the car for like about 200 miles before ethe crappy 4 banger blew, so now its all torn apart ready for my new 408W :) And yes i did use a 96 rearend also. Bolted right up, was so easy to do.

AJ

The 96+ spindles do offer better handling characteristics. There are several front k-member a-arm setups that require the use of 96+ spindles to take advantage of the better geometry.

The downside is the tires will stick out 8mm more than 94-95 spindles....which also stick out slightly more than fox spindles despite the common idea that they offer the same track as stock.