5W-20 or 5W-30

I had a guy tell me that once an engine gets 50,000 miles on it that you use should use thicker oil. I have a 2003 GT with 58,000. No major mods, just SLP X pipe and LM catback, with a Diablosport Predator tune. Should I just keep using 5W-20 or would it be a good idea to start using 5W-30?

• Sponsors (?)

MOBIL 1 SUX

Wow great post, you must be 16 :notnice: How about giving a legit reason why you think it "sux"

I use nothing but Mobil 1 myself, usually 5w-30.

I can tell you from experience mobil 1 is good stuff. I work on ships and every engineer ive known swears by mobil 1 for the engines. Now, if a professional engineer on a ship, who's job is to maintain a 10,000 hp diesel motor says that mobil 1 is good stuff, i believe it. Im talking about someone who spends every day of their professional career working around motors the size of a house.

One engineer i knew told me for a long time they used mobil 1 and the engines stayed clean all the time, no carbon build-up, no gunk....well when they switched to castrol he said everything changed, they started finding excessive carbon build-up, all kinds of sludge and gunk that they never had when they were still using mobil 1...what does that tell you? And that was on twin 6000hp diesels....

Wow great post, you must be 16 :notnice: How about giving a legit reason why you think it "sux"

I can tell you from experience mobil 1 is good stuff. I work on ships and every engineer ive known swears by mobil 1 for the engines. Now, if a professional engineer on a ship, who's job is to maintain a 10,000 hp diesel motor says that mobil 1 is good stuff, i believe it. Im talking about someone who spends every day of their professional career working around motors the size of a house.

One engineer i knew told me for a long time they used mobil 1 and the engines stayed clean all the time, no carbon build-up, no gunk....well when they switched to castrol he said everything changed, they started finding excessive carbon build-up, all kinds of sludge and gunk that they never had when they were still using mobil 1...what does that tell you? And that was on twin 6000hp diesels....
When I see something "Sux" I also want to know why. I haven't used Mobil 1 but my buddy's Vette came out of the factory with it. It must be great stuff if GM is willing to use it in a 40K car back in the day. Pearl02.

btw its not mobile, its Mobil. .

sorry, I my spelling goes to **** late at night after a few too many...

Yes, it's the best stuff out there.

My last stang had a 150k plus and I ran 5w-20 on all three of my mustangs and thought it was great. He kept trying to convince me to switch. Well, his 5.4 2v f150 has 300k on it, with "mobil"1, and he swears by it. He puts it in all his company vehicles that aren't doing any heavy towing. Cost a bit more, but you don't have to change your oil quite as often.

I use 5w30, but my 'Stang has a Windsor 4.6, and that's what the owners manual calls for.

It also has higher miles, so I rather run the thicker stuff than the thinner stuff to combat oil consumption.

Why did they switch? I have always understood that switching oils was a bad idea because they all use different additives. If they switched brands, than the different additives more and likely freed some of the gunk and carbon deposits already there and allowed them to move around. If they took that big a chance on changing oils when the other one was working, especially on a 600Hp ship engine, they they need to be hit in the head.