5w30 Instead Of 10w30 Oil Weight ?

• Sponsors (?)

Wow... this convo still going on? :rlaugh:

5w-30 = flows like straight five weight oil does at cold temperature. flows like straight 30 oil does at operating temperature.
10w-30 = flows like straight 10 weight oil at cold temp. flows like straight 30 weight oil at operating temp.
20w-50 = flows like straight 20 weight oil at cold temp. flows like straight 50 weight oil does at operating temp.

At operating temperature, 5w-30 and 10w-30 have the same flow characteristics.

Wow... this convo still going on? :rlaugh:

I don't get it honestly. The links I posted were made by the people who MAKE the oil, I would hope they have a higher knowledge of their product than us lowly consumers.
Well technically they don't make the oil, they refine crude and add an additive pack, usually from Lubrizoil or another producer, but still, their copy and paste comes from the SAE who wrote the book on automotive specifications.

I don't get it honestly. The links I posted were made by the people who MAKE the oil, I would hope they have a higher knowledge of their product than us lowly consumers.
Well technically they don't make the oil, they refine crude and add an additive pack, usually from Lubrizoil or another producer, but still, their copy and paste comes from the SAE who wrote the book on automotive specifications.

I'm afraid to mention the word, "polymer". :ninja: The world might split in two. :O_o:

Since certain people are beginning to become adolescent and bringing this into other threads, I copied and pasted a quote from one of your own technical articles. I picked the one that was easiest to read. I still can't grasp that someone would work on a car and they don't understand that oil gets thicker at low temperatures, and thinner at high temperatures. My wife knows this, and I change her oil for her. You are confusing the text as to referring to the outside temperature, not engine operating temperature. You want a low number on the left side so that when it's cold out the oil doesn't get too thick.

Quote:
Right in the middle is where you can focus on viscosity, which relates to oil flow at different temperatures. Look for the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) mark. The lower the number on the left, the thinner the oil at low temperature, and the happier your engine will be in cold weather when it's time to turn over. The number to the right relates to higher temperatures. Higher numbers indicate thicker oil for better performance in the heat. The "W" stands for Winter Grade.

Kurt

EVERYONE here understands that oil flows better when hot than it does when it's cold. NOBODY has said otherwise. Here's the part that I think you're missing:

5w-30 = flows like straight five weight oil does at cold temperature. flows like straight 30 oil does at operating temperature.
10w-30 = flows like straight 10 weight oil at cold temp. flows like straight 30 weight oil at operating temp.
20w-50 = flows like straight 20 weight oil at cold temp. flows like straight 50 weight oil does at operating temp.

I'll try to explain this one more time using 5w-30 as an example...

5w-30 motor oil will flow, AT COLD TEMP just like a straight 5 weight motor oil will flow AT COLD TEMP.

5w-30 motor oil will flow, AT OPERATING TEMP just like a straight 30 weight motor oil would flow AT OPERATING TEMP.

That is what multi-weight motor oil is about and why it was invented. It allows an oil that functions like a 30 weight oil at operating tempuratures to have very similar characteristics to a 5 weight motor oil when the engine and oil are cold so that it flows better until it's properly heated.