$6000 for mods. what u suggest?

04Cobra

Nov 28, 2003
CA
My friend has GT 03 manual bone stock. His budget is $6000. He wants to start in moding his GT and for daily driver. What u suggest to his mod to be and he want to get 11.4 to 11.8 @ 1/4. He doesn't want to use NOS. and what should he worry about it?
He couldn't be member in this forums, he is busy. (Prepare master)

• Sponsors (?)

01GT281 said:
trade car in, put money down on 03 cobra. Have a warranty. then buy smaller pulley and uncork catback exhaust (at track) and then buy sticky's.
problem solved.

:stupid:

I dont see how he would want to blow 6000 in a GT when he can get a Cobra that is quicker with warrenty. :shrug:

I would stick with the GT.....its more of a challenge...plus you can get a GT to ruin a new cobra for the money you are talking about and at only a fraction of the cost. I would go buy a novi 2000 with intercooler for about $4500 I believe it is....get full exhaust and a good tune...that will put you right about where you need to be money wise and put down at least 400 to the wheels...which will murder any new cobra that is stock....and you have a 25k car versus a 35k cobra with higher insurance...the cobra has more capabilities....but if you want to compare apples and apples....you still have 10k to spend on the GT before you are in the cobra's price range......that is one hell of a built longblock with a lot of boost and bullitproof.....just my .02...

04 cobra's are going for $29000 brand new with rebaits.
I droped $10k in my gt before trading it in on a Cobra. The Cobra's are so fun to drive and with as little as $1K-2K in mods you can have a 450+ rwhp street beast.
Just my .02

cadde300 said:
I would stick with the GT.....its more of a challenge...plus you can get a GT to ruin a new cobra for the money you are talking about and at only a fraction of the cost. I would go buy a novi 2000 with intercooler for about $4500 I believe it is....get full exhaust and a good tune...that will put you right about where you need to be money wise and put down at least 400 to the wheels...which will murder any new cobra that is stock....and you have a 25k car versus a 35k cobra with higher insurance...the cobra has more capabilities....but if you want to compare apples and apples....you still have 10k to spend on the GT before you are in the cobra's price range......that is one hell of a built longblock with a lot of boost and bullitproof.....just my .02...

with all of this you just spent 6k on a motor that if not tuned just right could blow up. I wouldn't want to lose sleep or be hesitant about mashing the fun pedal after spending 6k on my engine. Sure you have a supercharger but you still have a stock bottom end with stock heads. Plus with the cobra you get IRS and 6 gears. bolt on a new pulley, K&N, and exhaust for about $1300 and smoke that gt with 6k in it's engine. If anything goes wrong take it back to ford and make them fix it under your warranty. Make some a-hole doctor's kid in his new vette look a dumbarse for me when you get the cobra.

how come no one ever says "put 3k in an IRA" and than blow the rest on parts. Your car is already fast. Why not think about retirement? You are going to get old someday (hopefully) and social security may not be around.

danny g said:
how come no one ever says "put 3k in an IRA" and than blow the rest on parts. Your car is already fast. Why not think about retirement? You are going to get old someday (hopefully) and social security may not be around.

Because 3k in an IRA doesn't make the car run 11.4-11.8 in the quarter, maybe? You have a good point though, social security probably won't ever make it to my pockets. Oh well, guess I'll be working till I'm dead!!!

If you guys are angry that street racing is raising your insurance rates, than buy a focus. C'mon now, full coverage on my GT is only $900 a year and I'm 25 with plenty of tickets.

danny g said:
... you are going to get old someday (hopefully) and social security may not be around.
This is true ... plan on it NOT being around.

Regarding the above suggestions for the Cobra, that is pricey proposition. Here is what it will take to make that deal float. The Cobra is awesome, but it will cost you
$29k (cost of Cobra) - $15k (trade in) = $14k plus tax/lic

So, here is what I would do with that $6000:
Supercharger plus a tune - $3500
Springs/ Shocks/ Sub-frame connectors - $1000 (does not include installation)
Seats from an 03/04 Cobra from eBay - $1100
Magnaflow catback - $400 (does not include installation)

Just my $0.02...

I love the look on peoples face's when they loose to "just a GT" to me that makes the $$ worth it.

But don't get me wrong, I love the Cobra, if I did it over again I'd go Cobra. :rolleyes:

Buy a built low compression block for around 3K, then buy a Procharger D1SC.Put it all together and you will KILL almost any cobra....it will cost you more than 6K but its better than buying a freekin heavy 35K cobra.And knowing Ford, if you were to up the boost on the cobra, they would just void your warrenty anyways.

danny g said:

I'm considered enough of a wet blanket as it is without jumping on this soapbox, but I agree 100% with this statement. I remember being 18, and 20, and 22 and I never had money to modify the car at those ages. I did contribute to Roth IRAs at that time. I'm 25 now, and have slowly been able to set aside some discretionary money to spend on the car. Besides saving for retirement and placing my family first financially, taking it slowly has allowed me to learn a lot about my car, make informed choices about my modifications, and decide what direction I want to take the car instead of just slapping a lot of parts on it.

Glad to see another sensible Stangnetter.

supercharger (kb or novi 2000)=4k
if you dont get an intercooler try out the snow performance methanol injection kit, should help some even with low boost(9psi)=300-400
short throw shifter=170
rear control arms, upper and lower=400
subframe connectors=100
long tube headers=400
off road x=200 (or 400 w/cats)
magnaflow catback=320
dyno tune, chip, or programmer=350(may be included in price of supercharger)
3.73 gears=250 installed

seems i went over budget a little , find the sc on sale