'65 Gauge Pods

• Sponsors (?)

I never said you don't need gauges, all my cars have gauges, but hanging off the A pillar is not where they belong in my opinion and yes the "ricers" have ruined a lot of things but you saw these types of gauge pods on newer Mustangs and Crapmaros before the ricers picked up on the idea...so yeah it is now tainted too in a way. That reasoning aside, I don't like gauges hanging off the A pillar even in newer cars but on an old Mustang I think it detracts from the lines of the car.

Wow, Ronstang don't hold back, tell us your real opinion.

I would fully agree but I have had trouble locating asthetic, functional, and practical locations for items I require:

Oil pressure........................DASH
Oil temperature
Water temperature...............DASH
Charge Voltage....................DASH
Fuel Level...........................DASH
Fuel Pressure Carb
Fuel Pressure NOS
Trans fluid temperature
Tach.................................DASH
Speedo..............................DASH

Not to mention I run Vintage Air, Electric-Life Windows, and MES door locks, an alarm system, 2-Quart Accusump, Electric AC Fan,.....

My point is I am running out of room! I am really picky on the form follows function thought process and for my purpose and use of the car, in your face critical and timely information is met in spades with pillar gauges.
- I do not have to move my head, just my eyes.
- I get to retain the 'Knee' room on the drivers side.
- It looks intentional, not an after thought
- can be painted to match my interior...perfectly.

A64/65 restomad coupe is simply limited in the accessory placement department.

I'd love to re-design the entire dash (Metal) but for $59.00 and a rattle can of interior plastic color.........I'm in!

I agree with Ron. Don't want to look like i just dropped $50 at Pep-boys for a bunch of cheap dials and a goofy piece of plastic to hang them in . If I was going to add gauges, I'd add them either, somehow, in the console, or along the bottom of the dash. I kind of like the 65/66 shelby dash pod for a tach and another gauge. Or, get and modify a rally pac.

Fortunately, I'm not adding anything, so I won't have to cut up my console.

I don't want to feel like I'm flying a plane with my vision surrounded by gauges. Just my views and, let's face it, I'm a dork. :nice:

It's very difficult to get all the gauges in the dash cleanly. When you also have an original console the options get tougher. The pillar is used for nothing otherwise and is relatively easy spot to put them and have them in easy view. I don't think it looks too bad but I'm a bit biased...

009.jpg

002.jpg

GT2K said:
It's very difficult to get all the gauges in the dash cleanly. When you also have an original console the options get tougher. The pillar is used for nothing otherwise and is relatively easy spot to put them and have them in easy view. I don't think it looks too bad but I'm a bit biased...

009.jpg

002.jpg

G-- I can take or leave the pillar gauges, but I REALLY like those white faced "main" gauges. Those look really good.

What are the gauges on the pillar? Can you see the top one? It looks pretty high.

--P

GT2K said:
That's just not to my taste, it's too much for me. I do like the white faces though.

I've seen some gages with four-in-one dials, but what I really want in my '70 are two small gages with dual dials, and a speedo and tach in the large center locations. I haven't found it yet, but I'm still hopeful.

MustangPaul - I thought the exact same thing, the top gauge looks too high to the point were u can't really see it. But I don't mind pillar gauges, I myself would rather only one or at the most two gauges on the pillar.

GT2K - quick question, what pedals do u have in there, are they Lokar?

Those pictured are a custom 3 gauge set. They're not the 2 gauge ones mp products is offering.

I personally like the gauge pods. I put a set in the ss and covered them in leather look vinyl. I'll take some pics and show you all tomorrow...

I can't really see the rice perspective. I see more in late model Mustangs then anywhere else. Most of the mods we're doing with the early model cars is taken from the late models. Then they retro and take back from the early models. I don't see it ending anytime soon...

Quick answers...

Top guage is an Air/fuel Meter that I plan to convert to wide band shortly. I can see it just fine, it's right near my eye level.

The pedals are Lokar, I converted to a throttle cable and made a custom mount for the accelerator setup they sell. The arm for the brake pedal is chromed to match. More pics on my web site under Phase 2 for this.

Pillar gauge setup I fabricated, more info on my site under Updates.

One thing on the A/F gauge, it does not have backlighting so at night when you think this thing would resemble more of a christmas tree it actually is pretty muted, and more like a 2 gauge setup.

I've seen the pillar gauges on the market now and they don't seem to aim the gauges well towards the driver, though I have not seen them in person, just from their marketing shots.

I am on the fence with this. I agree that the original look especially with the guages is very clean and fits well. Adding the pillar guages *to me* clutters it up. I know that they need to go somewhere and given your options it is great place, without ruining anything, to put them.

I guess if I had all those guages (insert guage envy here :rolleyes: ) I would probably do the same thing.