65 to 66 dash

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
I sure heaps of you guys have done this conversion.
I know you have to cut a slight section out of the dash to fit the 5 gauge cluster, does anyone have or know where to find a template for this cut or does anyone know some dimentions that I could use?
Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I have seen articals on some mustang websites. Try Google and do a search. You should also look at Mustang Monthly and Mustangs and Fast Fords web sites. They have tech articles and I think there was one on that conversion. There are some tabs that have to be bent or removed as I remember.

no_3 said:
I know you have to cut a slight section out of the dash to fit the 5 gauge cluster, does anyone have or know where to find a template for this cut or does anyone know some dimentions that I could use?
Thanks in advance guys.

It has been a while since I've done it so I will recall what I can.

The part that needs cut out is directly below the speedometer. The speedo sticks down further on the 66. Just a little needs removed (perhaps 1/8".) The 66 metal dash has a moon shaped cutoff.

There is also some difference in the tabs. IIRC the bottom ones needed a hack saw ran down the sides slightly and then the tab gets straightened some and bent back. The clips may need to be the 66' ones.

Once modified correctly, all 6 screws will fit.

Sorry, but I know it is hard to visualize and I don't have any pictures. Best to compare a 65' metal dash to a 66' (which is what I did.)

no_3 said:
Thanks in advance guys.

It has been a while since I've done it so I will recall what I can.

The part that needs cut out is directly below the speedometer. The speedo sticks down further on the 66. Just a little needs removed (perhaps 1/8".) The 66 metal dash has a moon shaped cutoff.

There is also some difference in the tabs. You don't need to remove any. IIRC the bottom ones needed a hack saw ran down the sides slightly and then the tab gets straightened some and bent back. The uppers may need rebent, but not cut. The clips may need to be the 66' ones.

Once modified correctly, all 6 screws will fit.

Sorry, but I know it is hard to visualize and I don't have any pictures. Best to compare a 65' metal dash to a 66' (which is what I did.)