66 emergency brake help

pazcarguy

Mar 30, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 66 coupe that I have been upgrading over the last two years. My question is does anyone have a picture to where the original e-brake spring attaches to? The guy I bought my car off of had this really long spring (looks like it is from a screen door) stuck in one of the frame rail holes and because it is not original (and too strong), it pulls the entire lever assembly to one side disengaging the v-notch and renders it inoperable. Just wanted to know where it is supposed to go (per picture) as I am going to get the correct spring and resolve problem. A search and look in my manuals was not too clear to correct placement.

• Sponsors (?)

The springs are on the ends of the two cables inside the drums. A clip holds the ferrals in place in the backing plates.

-The cable from the handle runs to the lever under the tranny tailshaft.

-The lever pulls a threaded rod with a slip-on bracket on the end that retains the ball end of the rear cables. The tension is controlled by a nut on the rod that holds the bracket.

-The rear cables then run between the frame rails and floor into the wheelwells where a really crappy bracket somewhat holds them away from the tire.

-They then go through the hole in the backing plate, retained by a clip, and connect to the lever on the rear-most brake shoe. The springs are between these shoes and the backing plate.

Hope this helps, as I don't have pictures.

right hole wrong spring?

He may have it in the correct hole. It is a long spring. It attaches to the passenger frame rail right in front of the seat pan, where there are two holes. Then runs diagonally over to the long lever where the cable from hand brake asembly attaches.
HTH,

If you still need a picture, do a search on exhaust systems. Your bound to find one there.

HTH,

66 Runt is correct. Besides the springs in the drums (or calipers if you convt to disc) a long spring (greater than approx. 12"" attaches to the brale lever off the trans mount and in turn attaches to the front subframe. check out the shop manual, there is a diagram in the brake section

Here you go! Hope it helps!
01_3.jpg

Youre welcome pazcarguy! Actually that picture is the bottom of a Shelby Hertz that was for sale on Ebay a while back. However my 66 coupe looks very similar. I used the picture also to see how the parking brake linkage connected.