'69 block imcompatible with aluminium heads???!!!

stock50LX

Curmudgeon
Founding Member
Oct 2, 2001
University Place, WA
I was just told by a Summit salesman, who bothered to read the footnotes regarding Edelbrock heads, that my '69 351 block would need "steam holes" drilled to be compatible with the heads. Since he works on commission and he wants to sell the heads, his statement is credible. Does anyone have experience with this. It was the same with the TFS heads too.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, the steamports changed over the years. It's better to drill a 1/8" hole in the heads to match your block. Just use the heads gasket as a guide and be done with it. I did the block last time and one of the bits tracked off a little in spite of being center punched. Aluminum is softer and easier to drill.

Jamie

Ranchero5.0 said:
Yep, the steamports changed over the years. It's better to drill a 1/8" hole in the heads to match your block. Just use the heads gasket as a guide and be done with it. I did the block last time and one of the bits tracked off a little in spite of being center punched. Aluminum is softer and easier to drill.

Jamie

I don't have enough in the block, the head has more. Where did you drill them in your block? -just a half inch from the cylinder hole at the 1:00 o'clock position when looking down at the #8 cylinder? That seems to be the hole I am missing.