79 flywheel vs 85 also balancer

79dog

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2002
Sunny Fl.
Finally ready to put this motor and tranny in this weekend. Am I correct in thinking I have to use the 85 balancer in the 85 roller motor and not the 79? Also, is there a difference in the flywheels? Lastly, the 2 pieces only go on one way correct ?
P.S. the motor is out of a 85. Car is a 79, with a C-4 tranny.
Any help out there......Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know the background , but some where between 80-82 they changed the weight from 50 ounces to 28 ounces. So the flywheel and balancer need to match.Yes the flywheels are different for standard and auto. And as you know the balancer only goes on 1 way . I've never noticed on the flywheel. I know it will only match to the motor one way, but I don't know if it matters where the bolts go. Hope this helps.

yeah the bolt holes on the flexplate or flywheel both, are just a tiny bit offset so that you have to turn it to line up the holes to the crank, the bolts have no order

Thanks so far...... I don't know why, I always say flywheel. So, if it's an auto, it's called a flexplate? And the balancer and flexplate should match? I have both so that's no problem. I just hope that it don't cause a problem with the stall converter and C4 tranny. I may need a 85 starter though, if the flexplate is different..... Any thoughts on that? Thanks......