88 Gt Saleen T Top Or Bs??

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
this popped up in one of my Facebook groups. Guy posted pics of a 88 gt t top with a saleen wing/wheels and interior /engine, with a note from saleen saying it was ordered that way. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2583.PNG
    IMG_2583.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 515
  • IMG_2584.PNG
    IMG_2584.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2585.PNG
    IMG_2585.PNG
    3.2 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2586.PNG
    IMG_2586.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2587.PNG
    IMG_2587.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2582.PNG
    IMG_2582.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 360
  • Sponsors (?)

Legit. I think I read the story for this that a GT was ordered due to a shortage of LXs and the car was sold as a GT, but once saleen got in the proper LX body parts it would have been converted. Original owner never took itbin and left as a GT

Reactions: 1 user
Also, this car is a 1987 GT, not 1988. It is #87-0282.

GT Saleens do exist but they're not common. Saleen preferred to use LXes, and also preferred to have cars without hood stripes (1985-86 GTs) and cruise control.

The pics all look right, I own a 1989 Saleen convertible, is no. 0085, just has 85 decal on front bumper but, 0085 on all the tags, they're fun cars to drive but definitely not comfortable rides, I have street tires on mine, it helped the ride so the Saleen wheels and new racing tires are stored inside a cool dark house. I'm second owner, and first sat in it when it was delivered with 4 miles. Orig. owner died in 2014 at age 94. No. 85 has 12,990 orig. miles and sits covered inside my shop and is now for sale, at 81 and getting unable to walk, I'll never drive it.
I also have 14 other mustangs, including a 1978 King Cobra, with 5,426 orig. miles which I show at MCA shows when possible. Many of my mustangs are 390 GT's and couple are 428 CJ's.

Attachments

• new saleen pics 049.JPG
    new saleen pics 049.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 198
  • new saleen pics 029.JPG
    new saleen pics 029.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0718.JPG
    DSCN0718.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 150
  • saleen7.JPG
    saleen7.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 178
  • kingcobra.JPG
    kingcobra.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN1825.JPG
    DSCN1825.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 140
  • new saleen pics 056.JPG
    new saleen pics 056.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 169
Sorry, wanted to show a better pic of the Saleen and couple others.

Attachments

• saleen1.JPG
    saleen1.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 126
  • saleen3.JPG
    saleen3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 163
  • saleen5.JPG
    saleen5.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1055.JPG
    DSCN1055.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 1-2013 cars 443.JPG
    1-2013 cars 443.JPG
    663.6 KB · Views: 178
This is my car,1987 #282. Car is fully documented by original owner, dealership, and Saleen. Short story is that Saleen built GT's in 85 and 86. This car was a very early production 87. It was possibly the first aero car Saleen built. Definitely one of the first five. That gets a little cloudy due to Saleen record keeping. The car was built on the Saleen assembly line and it has most of the Saleen options. It was ordered without the Momo steering wheel due to the owner wanting to have cruise control. The car was purchased prior to delivery. The original owner told me it was taking too long to be completed. He lives close to the Saleen production and went and took possesion of the car. He was to bring it back to have the body kit installed later. He never went back. His reason was because once he started driving the car he became very happy with the new GT body design, plus it was his daily driver. So at the end of the 87 Saleen production they assisgned the car number 282 to close the books. It is the only known 87-up numbered Saleen to have GT body. It is also one of three 87-up t top Saleens. The later California GT Saleens were not numbered and not the same. Thanks for sharing my ride on here. I really enjoy this one. I will have it at the Saleen Nationals in Charlotte this year, as I am one of the organizers of that event. Hopefully some of you can make it there.

Reactions: 3 users
This is my car,1987 #282. Car is fully documented by original owner, dealership, and Saleen. Short story is that Saleen built GT's in 85 and 86. This car was a very early production 87. It was possibly the first aero car Saleen built. Definitely one of the first five. That gets a little cloudy due to Saleen record keeping. The car was built on the Saleen assembly line and it has most of the Saleen options. It was ordered without the Momo steering wheel due to the owner wanting to have cruise control. The car was purchased prior to delivery. The original owner told me it was taking too long to be completed. He lives close to the Saleen production and went and took possesion of the car. He was to bring it back to have the body kit installed later. He never went back. His reason was because once he started driving the car he became very happy with the new GT body design, plus it was his daily driver. So at the end of the 87 Saleen production they assisgned the car number 282 to close the books. It is the only known 87-up numbered Saleen to have GT body. It is also one of three 87-up t top Saleens. The later California GT Saleens were not numbered and not the same. Thanks for sharing my ride on here. I really enjoy this one. I will have it at the Saleen Nationals in Charlotte this year, as I am one of the organizers of that event. Hopefully some of you can make it there.

Awesome car! A true jem

That is really cool.