89 Carbureted 5.0 Crank But No Start

BoxOFGlocks

Feb 4, 2016
Hey guys I have a 89 carbureted 5.0 and it won't start it will crank all day but no start.

One day I went to start my car and noticed that my kill switch light was out. I have 2 kill switches. One to the fuel pump and the other to the coil. the light on my "coil" kill switch went out so I bought a new kill switch and installed it. When I was connecting the wires I noticed that when I connect the ground and power the light on the switch would turn on, then as soon as I touch the load wire to the switch the light would turn off, when I remove the load wire the light on the switch would be dim then take a few seconds to return to the Normal brightness. This had me completely stumped, i was also in a rush to get home so I connected a wire from my battery to my coil to start my car and drive home. While driving i saw my "fuel pump" kill switch light was dim and flickering.

I'm completely stumped with this problem. Since this was a carb swap (not done by me) I re-did all the splices and connections from the coil to the msd box the the ignition and kill switches but it did absolutely nothing.

The only things that come to mind that could be the problem are the coil or the msd box. But then again I could be completely wrong. Why would my fuel pump be losing power as well?

Please help I'm completely lost
Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you can produce a wiring diagram of what the electrical wiring currently looks like, there is very little chance of figuring out your problem. We can't tell what has been done and how it was done.

A vast majority of EFI to carb conversions are done by people who should not be allowed to get near an EFI car with any kind of tool. When they do, the result is automotive road kill.

It for this reason that when a person encounters an EFI Mustang for sale that was converted to carb, they should run the other direction as fast as they can.