89 fox vert - Windows Rattle (NEWBIE HERE)

Just purchased an 89 fox vert 5.0 and the windows rattle a bit when up and rattle a ton when rolled down. Is there an easy fix for this? I fear if I hit a big bump the window may get damaged or break. Happens most on drivers side of course. Please be kind as I am new to mustangs and any type of automotive work.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

My 83 has a vertical rod that holds the mechanism that goes up and down which is attached to the glass with three rivets .. At the top of it there is supposed to be a piece of felt that actually rubs against the window, at least from what I can tell....
If this felt is gone or worn out, I could see some noise and I would be afraid of metal to glass contact which could certainly break the window..
My windows are manual, not sure if electric windows are different....

There are several plastic pucs that are rivited to that bracket that get loose over time, a square plastic bushing rides on that guide pole limp mentioned, I think I have some pieces in a box I can dig out and take pics if needed.

With both driver and passenger Windows down inspect the inner and outer side of Windows , so drivers is used more the felt and whether strip is probably worn out. I got my replacement parts at LMR.

With both driver and passenger Windows down inspect the inner and outer side of Windows , so drivers is used more the felt and whether strip is probably worn out. I got my replacement parts at LMR.
The best lube in the perimeter felt channel is powdered graphite.....

I've done a few fox windows so I've got bits left over. PM me if you need puck or two.
Now more importantly, be prepared for 'scope creep', there are a few things that wear out that together make a smooth operating window, felts on the pads are important, dew wipes can get old, brittle and cracked, they are rarely the reason for the 'window studder'. The pucks on the glass and the window motor bushings are the usual suspects.