89 top won't reach to latch

I bought another mustang yesterday. a 1989 gt convertible. The motor for the top does not work so I have to raise and lower the top manually. On the ride home from where I bought it I put the top down and then back up with no problem. but today I lowered it and had to push it down a bit to put the cover on properly. When I went to put the top back up it no longer reaches the window to latch the j-hooks. Is it possible I bent the frame pushing it into place or maybe the hydraulic rams can't extend all the way without the motor? Or maybe because the top is old and has shrunk quite a bit, it won't go back in place because it was down and was below 50 degrees out today when I drove it. can this happen in a few hours in cold weather?

• Sponsors (?)

This is common on these older tops. Cold temps and vinyl don't mix well. More than likely your frame is fine. Over time the vinyl on these tops will get stiff and will also shrink. In colder temps it will be harder. In warmer temps it will be easier.

If you can't handle it by yourself, get someone to push down on each corner while you latch it. You won't hurt it.

If you are new to these verts let me offer some advice: Never leave your top down for an extended amount of time. Never store it down. Never over night or even the weekend. That vinyl will get a memory and will become impossible in time to raise and latch.

I've owned two fox verts, one of which I bought new in '88 and still own.

I've learned to put the top back, enjoy it, and raise it when I'm done.

Good Luck

pm me with a good email addy, I have the ford shop manual for the convertible on the fox bodies...great resource to have...it covers everything from adjustment, windows, and troubleshooting...

I hope your right. I did have the top down once and it had no problem reaching and latching, but that was just long enough to pump the gas and pay for it. I will try to latch it again when the temp goes up, which does not happen to often in northern wisconsin.