91 lx 5.0, mint.. go or no go?

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
Well today was a regualar day. Until my neighbor comes over and says hey, buddy's over here with a car you might be interested in. I walk around the corner, a white 91 Hatchback 5.0 5sp. I started looking at it... Its completely rust free. Torque Boxes.. floors... everything rust free!! Hes asking 6,500, but since hes a friend of my neighbor he said i can have it for 4,000. The odometer says 103,000. But around 90k 3.73's were installed without the speedometer correction gear. This is a really really clean car. The interior looks like it was just brough off the assembly line. The outside is ok, its been repainted once.. and they paint is Ok. It seems to me like a really decent car for the price hes asking. Its all stock except for the gears. What do you guys think? Sound liek a good deal? The only thing he says it needs is hatch weatherstriping, the speedo gear fix ( he has part ), and shocks for the hatch ( which i have lying around here somewhere ). Would it cost alot to get weatherstriping for the car? Is there anythong known/prone to go wrong with this car? i'm just checking out everything before the guy calls me at 2 oclock tommorow to see what ive decided. SOund like a decent buy for this kind of car? What are the pros/cons of this car?

• Sponsors (?)

the only thing that is making my dad think twice about it, is there are no cats. Because of the off road h pipe. But he has Cats sitting in my neighbors garage that he said we could have, so we could just swap those on when its time for emissions.

Lynx331 said:
the only thing that is making my dad think twice about it, is there are no cats. Because of the off road h pipe. But he has Cats sitting in my neighbors garage that he said we could have, so we could just swap those on when its time for emissions.
So you get a great deal on a car...and are worried that it might cost a few hundred when you need cats put on come emmision time?

What kind of logic is that?

you can get a catted legal h pipe from just about anyone with a mustang for $50. Don't let that make your mind up.

If the car is as clean as you say, go for it. However, be a little wary, as a car supposedly that clean with interior that mint should still have the original paint job. Look at the undercarriage, the frame, the fender supports, and look at ALL of the body lines to be sure all of the panels line up and it hasn't been in an accident. If you're gonna spend that much on the car, then be sure to pull a carfax first, it would suck to find out that it has 203k miles.

your dad, sounds like mine 10 years ago.

Spend a few hours tonight browsing this board and you'll see 9000 out of 10000 members here don't have cats. It will save you the trouble of taking them off.

If you like the way it runs after you drive it, buy it. It's getting harder and harder to find a stock car so that you can start with a clean slate. The hatchback weatherstripping is a piece of cake to install. Just loosen a few interior panels and pop it in w/ a rubber mallet. Shouldn't take long or cost too much. Check out 50resto.com or any of the dozen or so other parts sites to price the weatherstripping. Enjoy!