91 LX AOD, delayed hard shifts and wont go into OD

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
we have a 91 lx vert... has 90000 orig miles and its going to be my little brothers first car. he hasnt started driving quite yet and i am DDin the car for a month or two and got to tune her up and etc and just get some road miles on her.

the engine runs and drives great but the AOD seems to wait a long time to shift.
it can go to like 3k before it ever shifts just with light throttle normal driving. my mustang used to be AOD so i sort of have an idea of when they are supposed to shift. if its past that point and you let off the gas it will go ahead and shift. the shift also feels slightly crisper than normal, usually just in the 1-2 shift.

also i cant get the car to shift into OD at all. i duno if the OD is smoked or what.

under WOT the car will shift at the correct spot, around 5k etc...no problems there.

and codes have been scanned and nothing showed up relating to the transmission

we know the previous owners of the car and they said it acted like that the 7+years they owned the car and never had any problems. and that someone told them that the car may have had a shift kit installed ( dont see why it would, its a boner stock car except for cheap mufflers and stainless tips) plus it just doesnt seem like a shift kit to me

fluid is good and filter was changed a while back.

i was thinking the valve body gasket could be leaking?? would that cause OD to not work or is it just toast??

i'm not automatic man so i need your guys' help, give me some ideas

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

+1

The TV cable is probably out of adjustment, and I bet OD is already fried. OD goes out first on AOD's.

Also you're not going to get any trans codes because AOD's are totally mechanical.

oh yeah your right silly me, i didnt realize they are totally mechanical.

so how does one go about adjusting the TV cable? and do you mean the misadjustment would kill the OD or just that its gone on it own.

the fluid didnt smell like a burnt clutch. is it possible it just a hair out of adjustment to cause the delayed shifts.

was driving it today and noticed that it will go up in RPM say in 1st gear and then it feels like the AOD slips a bit and then it will finally shift a bit later.

still havent got into OD yet. but the car drives great it doesnt seem like the trans is trashed, just shifts late. i will try the adjustment procedure later today and see if i can get some positive results.

the guy that had it before us said it shifted like that for 7+years. hmm

AWESOME!

checked out the chiltons manual and there was a simple procedure to follow in there. just take the TV cable off the throttle lever and push the little white pin out to let the cable slide in and out of the box, then you hold the throttle shut with yout hand and press the cable back into the bushing and reinsert the pin, when you press it up it pushes the white pin back locking the box to the cable.

this way it seems like your getting a new bite on on the TV cable. i am guessing there is a spring down on the trans that pulls the cable shut and when you disconnect it and do the procedure above your making sure that the TB and TV cable are 100% shut when you connect them. i guess they were a tad off. I just did what the book said, took 5 mins and the car drive PERFECT now, upshifts normally and OD works now! i guess it was just a tad off for 7+ years if thats hows its shifted for that long, i guess it didnt ruin the trans because it drives perfect now

definately a good feeling getting that much of a difference with just 5 mins of work, didnt even get my hands dirty haha.

thanks for the help!

oh yeah your right silly me, i didnt realize they are totally mechanical.

so how does one go about adjusting the TV cable? and do you mean the misadjustment would kill the OD or just that its gone on it own.

Before you do all that as far as the over drive is concerned.
What a lot of people don't know is the big secret on the AOD's and AODE's is that the internal seal on the rear yoke in side the back tail shaft of the transmission. When that wears out, that is what builds the pressure to engage the clutches for the over drive.
By simply replacing the tail shaft housing on the rear of the transmission that part holds the seal that rides on the yoke and seals to tail shaft of the transmission and builds pressure for the over drive clutches.. fyi....