93 stang turbo swap

93stang2.3

Sep 3, 2007
I'm plannig to do a swap in my mustang and I have a few options. I have a complete 86 merkur turbo and an 88 tc wich would be better to use for the swap? I.E. computer motor/turbo trans. will the merkur computer work in the mustang? Or does it have to be a LA3 from an 87-88 tc? And will a LA3 work with the merkur motor? Thanks for any help you may give.

• Sponsors (?)

From what I understand, the 88TC has the best motor (Primarily I believe, due to the fuel injectors. 35# vs 30#?), except that it has the worst turbo.

So swap the turbo from the Merkur onto the motor from the TC and have fun!

The TC was rated at 190hp and the mekur at 175, mostly due to the intercooler on the TC. Obviously, you won't be getting any cool air to the IC under a stock mustang hood though.

As said above, use the TC engine and computer. If you want a turbo that spools a little slower and gives a bit more top end, you can use the merkur turbo. People have still gone very fast with that TC turbo though. One other thing to consider, I beleive the merkur is suppose to have a cam with slightly more duration than average.