94-95 mass air meter isnt an UPGRADE!!!

Nutzy19

Mar 30, 2005
Flemington NJ
The mass air meter for the 94-95 isnt 70mm like previously reported...it has the same flow density as a 89-93 meter with more turbulence. I got a meter at the swap meet for 40 bucks , some company stamped on it "Auto Specialties" (no not ASP, I wish..) its huge...like 80mm...so I put my stock 19lb sensor in the meter but it ran like poop...Its got tuneable tubes like the new C&L..
Do the sampling tubes affect calibration or is it the sensor wire & sensor thats calibrated???

• Sponsors (?)

Nutzy19 said:
The mass air meter for the 94-95 isnt 70mm like previously reported...it has the same flow density as a 89-93 meter with more turbulence.
Very interesting... I will have to go off and do some research to find if that is true or not. Where did you get your info?

I have both meters and lots of play Doh....They actually have the same amount of air flow ( through a meter I made out of an old k&n display ) The 94 & 95 looks like 70 but the center vane takes up alot of that room....

Actually it is if done correctly. Your mass air is not calibrated correctly. The calibration tubes do matter. get the right one. Im not sure if the meter you got at the swap meet is even good, i mean 40 bucks you may have gotten screwed. :bang:

Today 05:59 PM
Speeds8erM-1 It's a 70, not an 80. I dont understand what you are saying about tubes. You are supposed to just swap your stock electronics onto the 94-95 meter.

what???? foxcobra knows that Im talking about a completely different meter than the 94-95....I was just stating that the 94-95 has the SAME INTERNAL FLOW AS THE STOCK 89-93 and is not BIGGER due to the HUGE RESTRICTIVE VANE down the center...hold both meters in your hand and then tell me otherwise

The mass air meter for the 94-95 isnt 70mm like previously reported...it has the same flow density as a 89-93 meter with more turbulence. I got a meter at the swap meet for 40 bucks , some company stamped on it "Auto Specialties" (no not ASP, I wish..) its huge...like 80mm...so I put my stock 19lb sensor in the meter but it ran like poop...Its got tuneable tubes like the new C&L..
Do the sampling tubes affect calibration or is it the sensor wire & sensor thats calibrated???

Where in there do you say what you are doing with mafs, it dosent say anything about a non SN95 maf. Besides, Im saying it's 70, not 80, like your post said, which is now supposed to be something else. I dunno. You werent very clear in your first post. Some people have posted and claimed they had gains with that maf housing, who knows if it's true though. It does have a big vane but isnt it there for a reason?

I have three meters....stock......94 stock...and some weird 89-93 80mm aftermarket one from Auto specialties....the stock one and the 94-95 maf have the same flow and same surface area just in different configurations. Its was said that 94- 95 Mafs were an upgrade for 89-93 mass air cars from the stock meter...this is not true. They are the same size due to the vane in the 94-95 maf. The Auto Specialties one is just something I have to unload as I cant find any documentation on the web for it. Its a tuneable unit with removable sampling tubes like the new C&L meter. But as its makers are gone from existence I cant find the parts I need...

no....lets think about this another way and maybe youll understand......I they have different size openings yes....the inside of the 94-95 is 70mm yes ......if it had no vane in the center it would be BIGGER than the 89-93.....BUT THE VANE TAKES UP THE SPACE KNOCKING YOUR 70mm back down to a measly 58mm of flow area. No upgrade.

So how did that K&N display give you an accurate reading...???

Would the 94/95 MAF run right since they have a different computer tuned to it. The 89-93's are different...

I have never heard of a MAF company named autospecialites...I think you just bought the wrong MAF for your car...

Nutzy19 said:
nevermind this arguement .....if you havent got both meters in your hand...DONT REPLY....I researched it....I tested it and now Im sharing the results....[/QUOTE

You've researched it? Any links or soures you can provide me with? I've got both meters and do see the big vane in the middle of the 70mm but still don't understand your thinking that both meters just "even out". Sorry, but I've read about alot of people swapping from a 55 to a 70mm meter and having picked up gains at the track with just that simple swap. No matter what, if you acheive gains from any swap, it's an upgrade.