Roush 94 - 98 rear bumper question

digdoug

Jan 7, 2003
need some help here.....

I was driving home the other day with my wife in another car behind me and she told me when we got home that my rear bumper was "flapping" or was loose. I crawled under the car and found that the whole bottom of the bumper is just hanging in the wind. While driving the wind would catch in the bumper cover and made if flap up and down. I see two holes moulded into the bumper along the bottom edge. Is there supposed to be a brace or something on there, or does the cover really not attach at all across the bottom? Seems there should be some kind of bracing under there.

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, zip ties is what Saleen uses. They were used on my '89 Saleen to attach the rear bumper cover to the fuel tank flange or somewhere underneath.

I have a similar question on the front bumper cover for my '98 Saleen Cobra. The passenger side bumper cover as it wraps around the side of the car is loose but the driver's side is secure. Does Saleen use some sort of brace on each side to support the bumper cover?

Inquiring minds want to know. :shrug:

SVT Saleen said:
Yep, zip ties is what Saleen uses. They were used on my '89 Saleen to attach the rear bumper cover to the fuel tank flange or somewhere underneath.

I have a similar question on the front bumper cover for my '98 Saleen Cobra. The passenger side bumper cover as it wraps around the side of the car is loose but the driver's side is secure. Does Saleen use some sort of brace on each side to support the bumper cover?

Inquiring minds want to know. :shrug:

Nah,

On the 94-98 cars, the only means Saleen used to attach the bumpers were screws and two big black zipties. The rear bumper "hangs" on the car via the two stock ford aluminum hangers directly behind the bumper on each side of the car. then only screwed to the car in the wheel well and a random number of screws at the top of the bumper (under the license plate) and beneath the taillights.

marcus95 said:
Nah,
On the 94-98 cars, the only means Saleen used to attach the bumpers were screws and two big black zipties. The rear bumper "hangs" on the car via the two stock ford aluminum hangers directly behind the bumper on each side of the car. then only screwed to the car in the wheel well and a random number of screws at the top of the bumper (under the license plate) and beneath the taillights.

I was asking about the front bumper cover, Marcus, not the rear. :p

On my '98 one side is loose & the opposite side is secure when they wrap around the sides to meet the fenderwell. So I wanted to know if Saleen used some sort of brace on both sides to keep the front bumper cover rigid to the factory body pieces.

ooops,

Just pull your front wheels and re use the screw in the area that is loose. There is no science on where saleen screwed that area of the bumper. they just held the bumper up and went for it. they did drill the pilot hole first.