Engine 94 Mustang-issues.

Metal Gear Mech

Jan 29, 2017
So, 94 3.8L V6 Mustang, originally the thermostat was sticking and it was recommended it remains in place till replaced. It wasn't and overheated and stalled out on the guy, when I got to it; all six plugs were fouled with oil, gas and water. Same mixture was seeping out of throttle body. When plugs were cleaned and engine was managed to be turned over, white smoke poured from the tailpipe. I'm sure it's a head gasket, but my main problem is that both bolts on the thermostat housing/water outlet, have rusted into the intake body and the heads have sheared off. I can't seem to find the bolt sizes to save my life so I can drill them out and either rethread or stick a helicoil in it. Would anyone on here have any idea on the answer I'm seeking?

• Sponsors (?)

Pretty sure those had a 10mm head which probably makes them a 6mm bolt, not sure of the pitch or exact length. Since you're drilling and tapping, as long as the bolts you pick are about the right length and fit through the holes in the housing cover, the exact pitch and size aren't really that important. Luckily if you mangle the lower intake they're found pretty cheap on eBay.

Here's a technique that might be interesting to investigate. If you have a little time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

I had a 94 V6, the head gaskets on those were so bad Ford did a recall on just the head gasket. Ford's solution: replace the head gasket and hope the engine dies before the head gasket fails again. :(

I would research better head gasket solutions if you can afford it. I would also send the aluminum heads to a shop to make sure they aren't warped from over heating.

Pretty sure those had a 10mm head which probably makes them a 6mm bolt, not sure of the pitch or exact length. Since you're drilling and tapping, as long as the bolts you pick are about the right length and fit through the holes in the housing cover, the exact pitch and size aren't really that important. Luckily if you mangle the lower intake they're found pretty cheap on eBay.

Here's a technique that might be interesting to investigate. If you have a little time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM

that video is awesome!!!

That video is an amazing trick, I gotta remember that.
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in responding.
So I've got everything on the car back together, it still starts up just fine but it wont stay idleing properly.
It wont idle under 1.5k rpm and if it does manage it, its in a lopeing manner.
Otherwise everything else is fine.
I just can't hand it back to the client like this though..
I've read about the MAF sensor, vacum leaks.. ect..
Haven't had time to check the car again due to weather but I figured maybe someone had a better clue then I before I start tearing it down to the intake manifold again.