95 5.0 Newbie

Lorenzo

Aug 3, 2015
Sacramento, Ca
Hey guys, I am very new to the EFI world and just started to work on my 95 vert. Right now I am dumping money on parts after parts in this car and I have yet to figure my problem out. My wife wanted to use my car a few weeks ago when it had a small radiator leak. I told her to watch the gauge. She did.... the OIL gauge! Yup, over heated. So just as I saw the gauge, I added water in it and it was fine. I wasn't 2 min after I added the water when the idle went up to 2k rpm in park. It never came down. I did some research and replaced the engine coolant temp gauge (the big one on the passenger side of the intake man. Upgraded the radiator to a 3 row aluminum, replaced the water pump gasket and the timing cover gasket (water was leaking from there as well) Replaced both radiator hoses. I cleaned up the IAC, the MAF, and the throttle body. Checked for vacuum leaks, and checked the voltage on the IAC and TPS. All checked out fine.... still idling at 2k rpms. I did have an issue with the MAF a while back ago, but after I ran a q tip with rubbing alcohol on it, she ran fine. Now when I disconnect the MAF the car settles into a nice 800 rpm idle, kinda shaky though. I'm about to buy a new MAF, but wanted some professional advice before I dump more money into this car. Thanks
20150513_151509.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, I am very new to the EFI world and just started to work on my 95 vert. Right now I am dumping money on parts after parts in this car and I have yet to figure my problem out. My wife wanted to use my car a few weeks ago when it had a small radiator leak. I told her to watch the gauge. She did.... the OIL gauge! Yup, over heated. So just as I saw the gauge, I added water in it and it was fine. I wasn't 2 min after I added the water when the idle went up to 2k rpm in park. It never came down. I did some research and replaced the engine coolant temp gauge (the big one on the passenger side of the intake man. Upgraded the radiator to a 3 row aluminum, replaced the water pump gasket and the timing cover gasket (water was leaking from there as well) Replaced both radiator hoses. I cleaned up the IAC, the MAF, and the throttle body. Checked for vacuum leaks, and checked the voltage on the IAC and TPS. All checked out fine.... still idling at 2k rpms. I did have an issue with the MAF a while back ago, but after I ran a q tip with rubbing alcohol on it, she ran fine. Now when I disconnect the MAF the car settles" C c. make sure you use a 50/50 mix what the book says and add water with the right radiator fluid. Have you checked the mad air flow sensor? Maf sensor is one of the main controls to your rpm and it gets dirty and you have to use mad sensor cleaner from the auot parts store and it'll make it idol good as long as you are careful not to touch the wires with anythang besides that spray. And also the iac can get gummed up you can clean that too with carb cleaner and ear cleaner. And also you can clean throttle body and that'll help too. If you try those 3 and they all do not work, come back and ask that same question. And don't ruin the iac valve motor u gotta watch a YouTube video on how to do that

Hey guys, I am very new to the EFI world and just started to work on my 95 vert. Right now I am dumping money on parts after parts in this car and I have yet to figure my problem out. My wife wanted to use my car a few weeks ago when it had a small radiator leak. I told her to watch the gauge. She did.... the OIL gauge! Yup, over heated. So just as I saw the gauge, I added water in it and it was fine. I wasn't 2 min after I added the water when the idle went up to 2k rpm in park. It never came down. I did some research and replaced the engine coolant temp gauge (the big one on the passenger side of the intake man. Upgraded the radiator to a 3 row aluminum, replaced the water pump gasket and the timing cover gasket (water was leaking from there as well) Replaced both radiator hoses. I cleaned up the IAC, the MAF, and the throttle body. Checked for vacuum leaks, and checked the voltage on the IAC and TPS. All checked out fine.... still idling at 2k rpms. I did have an issue with the MAF a while back ago, but after I ran a q tip with rubbing alcohol on it, she ran fine. Now when I disconnect the MAF the car settles into a nice 800 rpm idle, kinda shaky though. I'm about to buy a new MAF, but wanted some professional advice before I dump more money into this car. Thanks
20150513_151509.jpg
Me personally, would have never ever used rubbing alcohol for that critical part of an engine, those wires are the main controller with the o2 sensors, don't be cheat go out and buy the maf sensor cleaner

Reactions: 1 user
i got a cobra with cats still but x pipe and borla exhausts. which is a nice tone....but i got a bud with a 95 gt and he has bbk shorty heads, no cats, x pipe, and mac pro dump exhaust and man.....that son of a bitch screams like a wicked :leghump:in witch and its a good deep tone.........its a real bad ass sounding car. 5.0's are perfect for that set up

and also you can use that maf sensor cleaner on the temperature sensor its on the same tube housing but its like in the center of it, id take the whole thang off unclamp the clamps and get the temp sensor too. that a way the engine can tell how cold or hot the air is coming into the engine. you dont got to tho it doesnt make a hell of alot of diff.

quick throwing parts at it. Do a search for the surging idle fix, it should help get you sorted out
maybe iaf valve, just take it off squirt some thottlebody cleaner in it with the motor part of it up so the cleaner doesnt get threw the rubber to the motor and use a cotton swab on that spring and its clean. and itll help even if its a little dirty to clean.

I recently had to replace my iac because it was too past do, idles great now. Once running car relies on maf, iac ,and tps in closed loop. Atleast that's how it was explained to me