Resolved Grand daughters 2003 3.8 v6 overheating

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
  • Sponsors (?)

Funny you mentioned that. Yes I am only using gauge. I am picking up a lazer temp gun from a friend Friday. We arrived at that also.
Thank you and Ill let you know.

Ok gang. Bought an infrared thermometer to check engine heat. Gauge shows overheating yet all points I check show nowhere near 200° including radiator and thermo housing.
Electric fan comes on just over 90° which is wrong.
Does the temp sensor on the driverside head dictate fan also? I believe that to be problem but hate just changing parts.
This car did have blown head gasket. Had heads planed, new water pump and thermostat installed.
2003 mustang 3.8 v6

90° is obviously too cool I believe the temperature sensor in the cylinder head controls the fan unless it has a separate radiator fan switch which also measures temperature also what are the temperatures when it’s overheating

I am back. Changed temp sensor and things are a bit better. Gauge shows last mark prior to red. All readings are with a infrared gun
Thermo housing is 195
Temp sensor is at 218
Freeze out plug at 180
No air in system. If I loosen rad cap I get antifreeze at pressure and temp shows normal on gauge. Temp at temp sensor 198. No antifreeze missing.