95 GT Exhaust and performance suggestions

Josh95GT

May 4, 2004
Worcester, MA
I own a 95 GT Automatic that is straight stock right now at 100,000 miles. I am looking to begin adding performance modifactions one by one as I can afford them. I am going to start with a cat-back exhaust. I'm thinking Flowmaster but am not fully decided yet. I primarily want an upgrade in HP but obviously want a good "sound" as well. I want it to be easily noticeable but don't want to be overly loud. In other words I don't want my neighbors to hate my car. Should I get the 2 chamber or 3 chamber? What model number should I be ordering when I order online? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Any suggestions in regards to exhuast or what other performance modifications I should begin with? I appreciate any responses at all. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i say you save money and keep the stock catback and get some sort of x or h pipe. if you do want mufflers then id say go for flows but you can get them for a bunch less than the whole catback but thats your choice. an o/r hpipe and 2 chamber flows will sound great and cost probably near the same as a full catback plus you will feel a tiny bit opening up your exhaust too :)

I say this so often, full subframes, 3.73 rear gears are two
of the best...under drive pullies....there are so many.....but
with these you will "feel" it more than some others.

Hey, you tryin' to steal my not-so-creative name idea?! j/k. I did a magnaflow catback and a C & L 76mm MAF first with my car. I didn't really feel a difference, maybe a slight improvement. From what I hear, I would do gears first. Save up about $400 for the gears and the install. Then if you want a better sound get rid of the stock H-pipe and get one with high-flow cats or an Off Road H-pipe or X-pipe. I seems like the stock cat-back is pretty good if you lose the 4 cats on the stock mid-pipe.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and help....now I just have to try and find a local garage I can trust. I think I'm going to order parts online and can do some of it myself, but the rest I'll need help with. I'm having trouble finding a good garage for performance modifications. All the garages are like Speedy Muffler, etc. Thanks again for the help.

Flowmasters didn't do too much for the sound of my car with the stock H-pipe. Go with an off-road H or X and keep the stock catback. The stock headers really aren't that bad either, I didn't gain any ET or mph with headers. Gears and intake were the two best mods I ever put on.

3.73 gears are the first you should do. It was the first thing I did and wow it really got her to move. An off road H or X would be the best benefit to the exhaust performance gain IMO. Pullies are also a pretty cheap mod, and advancing the timing to 13 or 14 degrees would net you some free hp ( must run at least 93 octane tho ) and a 180 degree tstat will help the car run cooler. good luck and welcome to the boards.

Thanks again....any suggestions on where to order the parts? I have tons of websites from the "Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine. I'm leaning towards getting a off road H or X pipe and 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. Definitely gonig to do gears as well and I'm sure more will soon follow, suspension etc. If I order the exhuast parts is there anything I need to know or will all the necesarry parts come with the shipment? If order an H pipe and mufflers is that all I'll need?

This is what I know about off road pipes in Mass for daily drivers - they are illegal. I got pulled over in my friends 98 Stang and the Statey actually checked for cats cause the car was so loud (loudmouth). Regardless, thats not stopping me from putting them this summer...

Black96VertGT said:
when you get gears and you have an automatic transmission, don't you have to do something with computer to change the shift points or something?

on his 95, he'll just need a speedo gear, automatic or not, the computer work just applies to 96+...i think