95 gt rear brakes draggin...PLEASE HELP!

bigdumogre375

Mar 20, 2010
I just recently purchased a 95 gt 5spd with 120k on it. I have had several issues but have sorted most out. When I got it the rear passenger side brake rotor was warped from what I suspected as draggin and overheating. Upon further inspection I realized one of my slide pins had seized. In the last week I put a new caliper and braket with pins and such, and a rotor and new pads of course. It seemed to fix it for about 3 days, and now its draggin again I can hear it when Im driving.

Does the parking brake have anything to do with this Porblem? The parking brake lever spring has sprung so the parking brake doesnt work anyways, but wont go to the trouble of unhooking at the wheels if it may not fix anything.

Is there anything Im missing or overlooking? Im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and Im pretty much broke. I need this car as it is my daily driver, and Im afraid if it keeps draggin Im just gonna tear up the parts Ive already replaced.

Thanks guys sorry for the long post and any help greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

The parking brake is supposed to be self-adjusting at the handle. If it's not, it will get looser over time, not tighter. Are you sure it's the brakes? If the bearings in the axle go, they can make a similar noise. The only way to find out is to jack up the car and rotate the wheel with the parking brake off. Check if there's any side-to-side or up & down play in the wheel. There shouldn't be any.

if your car's master cylinder has been replaced in the past then, you will need to measure the bore and the brake booster's rod length as well,

if previous owner changed or mechanic changed the master cylinder, the bore length and rod length needs to be matched otherwise the booster's rod will push into the master cylinder's bore and you will be dragging the rear brakes(you can hear it if you have slotted rotors) You can adjust it by taking the master cylinder off and twist the booster rod clockwise to tighten it couple turns.

Just my .02

The parking brake is supposed to be self-adjusting at the handle. If it's not, it will get looser over time, not tighter. Are you sure it's the brakes? If the bearings in the axle go, they can make a similar noise. The only way to find out is to jack up the car and rotate the wheel with the parking brake off. Check if there's any side-to-side or up & down play in the wheel. There shouldn't be any.

No there wasnt any play, well very very little when I pulled it the other day. The only thing that says brakes is that the inner pad on that side is more worn than the outer. Also the noise goes away when I apply the brakes. I am not seeing nor hearing anything from the other side.
Hollywood, would that problem make only one side drag? My drivers side is not showing regular noise nor any unusual wear.

Thanks to both for the replies so far I sure appreciate it.

Oh and also as far as the parking brake goes, it just pulls up with no tention at all at the handle. It may just not be hooked up looks like there was some backyard wrenching that has taken place over the years. I wish I could have just afforded one in better condition, but I think I got a great deal on this one.

You could have a bent axle. My car must have been curb'd some time in its last life, possibly from some spirited driving...Anyways, I had the same problem, inner pad was wiped out to the point it took out the rotor ( I though it was just some lazy owner who didn't know or care to replace, as all the brakes on the car were in tough shape ). I replaced everything, and then had a dragging noise right away as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. I pulled everything apart soon after, gave her a few turns and noticed the bent axle right away. Its really easy to tell if you just pull the caliper, and pads, and watch the rotor inside the caliper braket. The good thing about the whole ordeal is, now its time to put some decent axles in it. But if your in the same boat, and just want it back together, 7.5 axles from 94-98 are the same as the 8.8...cheap easy junkyard find!