96-98 guys beware

• Sponsors (?)

PI intake/70mm TB/Aftermarket upper plenum and Comp 262 or VT stage 1 cams closely equals the entire PI head swap in HP numbers and you can keep your compression at the point to where you can SC later. Plus you can do it cheaper...

coramprat said:
PI intake/70mm TB/Aftermarket upper plenum and Comp 262 or VT stage 1 cams closely equals the entire PI head swap in HP numbers and you can keep your compression at the point to where you can SC later. Plus you can do it cheaper...

Where can I go to get a PI intake that will bolt onto a set of NPI heads? The PI head swap is above my mechanical abilities.

zerosgt said:
Where can I go to get a PI intake that will bolt onto a set of NPI heads? The PI head swap is above my mechanical abilities.
I bought some adapter plates that blended the ports but some people have used RTV to seal the ports to prevent leaks with good results. Do a search for pi intake here and on Modular Depot and you should find the tech on the swap using RTV.

coramprat said:
I bought some adapter plates that blended the ports but some people have used RTV to seal the ports to prevent leaks with good results. Do a search for pi intake here and on Modular Depot and you should find the tech on the swap using RTV.

what is RTV? I'll do the search when I get home.

Ok, I am getting tired of arguing this, but I want to know why the adapter plate method is better than RTV and the PI gasket method.

RTV has been around for a long ****ing time and the big 3 US automakers at one in the past, RTV was how they made gaskets. I know of some RTV gasket made cars running 200,000 kms and counting with no issue of leaks what so ever.

Using the PI gasket, you have to use a small dab of RTV on 2 of the coolant ports, that is it. I posted pictures once where the RTV goes, but I am not looking for them now. It won't fail under boost because boost does not affect coolant flow. It will last because RTV is designed to seal against water and coolant.

What the adapter plates do is lift the intake manifold. Lifting the intake manifold, lifts the fuel injectors which affects the spray pattern. Using adapter plates requires you to use both the NPI and PI gasket, you also have to take that into consideration. You will require a tune using adapter plates to correct the A/F ratio.

The adapter plates have shown no better results( HP/TQ ) than those who just used the gasket and RTV method.

The best method, would be to have the heads port matched to the PI intake gasket with some aluminum welded into the coolant port. I would only consider this, if I was using ported NPI heads.

IMO, the next best method is the PI gasket and RTV method. The adapter plates IMO are a huge waste of money and would be the last method, I would use.

TGJ said:
Ok, I am getting tired of arguing this, but I want to know why the adapter plate method is better than RTV and the PI gasket method.

RTV has been around for a long ****ing time and the big 3 US automakers at one in the past, RTV was how they made gaskets. I know of some RTV gasket made cars running 200,000 kms and counting with no issue of leaks what so ever.

Using the PI gasket, you have to use a small dab of RTV on 2 of the coolant ports, that is it. I posted pictures once where the RTV goes, but I am not looking for them now. It won't fail under boost because boost does not affect coolant flow. It will last because RTV is designed to seal against water and coolant.

What the adapter plates do is lift the intake manifold. Lifting the intake manifold, lifts the fuel injectors which affects the spray pattern. Using adapter plates requires you to use both the NPI and PI gasket, you also have to take that into consideration. You will require a tune using adapter plates to correct the A/F ratio.

The adapter plates have shown no better results( HP/TQ ) than those who just used the gasket and RTV method.

The best method, would be to have the heads port matched to the PI intake gasket with some aluminum welded into the coolant port. I would only consider this, if I was using ported NPI heads.

IMO, the next best method is the PI gasket and RTV method. The adapter plates IMO are a huge waste of money and would be the last method, I would use.
I paid a hundred bucks for my plates...just so the ports would transition a little better. Not knocking the RTV method though becuase it is tried and true.

I'm really not ever looking to boost the stang at any point, I just want to be able to keep up with a buddies civic. I now how that sounds, but really, he's pulling right over top of me right now with his freaking 06 Si. The 1/4 mi times are faster stock to stock and I'm trying to get back on top, where the freaking V8 belongs. So with a PI intake and a short shifter I think I can ram those 4 cyc right back down his throat.

Not that I have anything against honda's, I've owned one, but I just like winning and then going back to have a couple drinks afterwards.

Since I was asked, I will post the pics of where the RTV is required.

The PI gasket on a SVO head, exact same intake ports and coolant ports as the NPI head.
Head1.JPG

A closeup of the coolant port that requires the RTV
Head4.JPG

The exact area that requires the RTV
Head6.JPG

The circled area is where you add the RTV to the gasket and head to completely seal off the coolant.
Head7.JPG

The other coolant port on the head. Just so you see that it does not require RTV.
Head5.JPG

IMO, you will need cams to go with the intake. The NPI cam runs out of steam around the same time as the NPI intake does. At minimum, go with with PI cams.

Edit:

It helps if I type in the right link.

TGJ said:
IMO, you will need cams to go with the intake. The NPI cam runs out of steam around the same time as the NPI intake does. At minimum, go with with PI cams.
I agree there...the only reference I have to go by before and after my PI intake swap was track times. I gained a MPH and a tenth so maybe 5-7hp. But with the cam swap my dyno was a good 30-35 hp better and my mph is up by 6.

Don't pay attention to the times in my sig..I haven't had the chance to get new ones since my car was tuned...