96GT cutting out at high rpm

frey_gt

Nov 15, 2005
Williamsburg,Oh
This past weekend I went and filled my tank up and that is when it started running terrible. If I drive the car normal it runs fine. But right when I stab the gas real quick or put it all the way to the floor it starts cutting out. Is it possible I got a tank of bad gas? Well anyways I hooked a scanner up to it and it was saying there was something wrong with my O2 sensors. So, I replaced the front 2 and still didn't change nothing. I bought new coil packs, still nothing. The plug wires look good. I did pull a couple spark plugs and it is running lean. I cleaned the maf which it wasn't really dirty but no luck there either also bought a new fuel filter. Do you think the maf is bad? I am running out of idea's what to to try next. Any help would be appreciated?

• Sponsors (?)

try a set of wires my car was doing somthing simler changed wires prob went away now im being huanted by a new prob.of my car dying at high speed up shift in to 2nd thinking coils the ign in these cars seem to be finicky

You said you bought a new fuel filter, but did you install it yet?

What exactly is the error code and description? There are about 20 different O2 sensor error codes that it can spit out.

You said you bought a new fuel filter, but did you install it yet?

What exactly is the error code and description? There are about 20 different O2 sensor error codes that it can spit out.

I already installed the fuel filter and it didn't change a thing. I can't remember all of the codes but one of them said O2 sensor Bank2 sensor 2. When I get home from work I can get the rest of the codes.

It's possible you got a bad tank of gas but another likely possibility is that the fuel pump is on it's way out.. sometimes simply the temp change from a hot pump with a near empty tank getting rapidly cooled with cool fuel can cause a fuel pump thats old to act up..

I don't think it's a ignition related misfire because that tends to be worse at high loads low rpm, when a fuel pump can't meet the supply needs it will cut out at high rpm high loads

It's possible you got a bad tank of gas but another likely possibility is that the fuel pump is on it's way out.. sometimes simply the temp change from a hot pump with a near empty tank getting rapidly cooled with cool fuel can cause a fuel pump thats old to act up..

I don't think it's a ignition related misfire because that tends to be worse at high loads low rpm, when a fuel pump can't meet the supply needs it will cut out at high rpm high loads

Well it has about a 1/2 a tank gas in it now. If it is bad gas you think if I put some different gas in it it would make a difference?

Well it has about a 1/2 a tank gas in it now. If it is bad gas you think if I put some different gas in it it would make a difference?

maybe, but it's also possible some crap was pumped into your tank and the pump itself is clogged.. there is a " sock" at the bottom of the pickup, if you remove the pump you may notice this is clogged up..

If you have a manual fuel presure gauge you can check and see if the presure drops when the cut off happens.

Good luck and keep us updated..