'97 Cobra Stock.....

Dianoga

Jun 6, 2008
Ok so Ive just got a 97 cobra with no mods to it. Where should the mods begin. Lookin for some horsepower of course but if I could also increase the gas mileage a bit that would be awesome as well. Thanks for the input and the time. And I'm new so get as long winded as you need :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, you have a Mustang Cobra. Forget gas mileage as you bought the wrong car for that.

Now for mods. 1st mod is a shifter. Second 4.30's if you plan on staying naturally aspirated. The normal bolt ons, longtubes + exhaust and S/R intake will increase your hp. Suspension work will make the power transfer to the pavement where it counts.

If your staying N/A, long tube headers will help gain the most power, but they only ones worth buying ar BBK's and they are over 500 dollars, and around 400-500 to install. I paid to have them done.

I spent 1,000 dollars total, plus an Hpipe so 1,150.

I gained 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile. From 13.9's to 13.5's.

I'm new to these forums but I would like to throw in my 2 cents because I also have a 97 Cobra.

First of all it's a great find when a car that old hasn't been molested with mods. How many miles and do you have any pictures?

The first thing I would do is a cold air intake, second would be the exhaust which depends on your state laws and budget, third would be gears, those 3:27's just don't get it.

Don't worry about gas mileage, it's a hot rod.

Just my opinions, Steve

The first thing I would do is a cold air intake, second would be the exhaust which depends on your state laws and budget, third would be gears, those 3:27's just don't get it.

Don't worry about gas mileage, it's a hot rod.

Just my opinions, Steve

Sorry but your precedence is wrong. A cold air will really do nothing for you. In fact you won't even notice it. The first mod anyone should do to wake the car up is 4.10 or 4.30 gears if you are not adding a blower. Then I would do exhaust and then cold air. Gears are going to make the biggest bang for the buck and it feels like you have added 50hp and 50 tq.

...Sorry but your precedence is wrong. A cold air will really do nothing for you...

While everyone appreciates the fact that replacing the factory rear gear really wakes up the 4v engine, replacing the factory air intake setup with a CAI can definitely be beneficial (as in the OP's situation).

Adding a free flowing exhaust, better breathing intake tract, and gears is a recipe that has been cooked up many a time by Cobra owners.

:cheers:

While everyone appreciates the fact that replacing the factory rear gear really wakes up the 4v engine, replacing the factory air intake setup with a CAI can definitely be beneficial (as in the OP's situation).

Adding a free flowing exhaust, better breathing intake tract, and gears is a recipe that has been cooked up many a time by Cobra owners.

:cheers:
You are correct to an extent. Gas Mileage and increasing hp and performance do not go hand in hand on these cars. To get one, the other might suffer. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

The first mod to get for performance on our 4V's is not a cold air kit. Gears are, hands down. A Cold air kit is not going to really increase fuel mileage that much even if there is a noticeable difference. That's what I was getting at.

:stupid: Although i only have 2v, my first mod was a s/r intake and honestly i waish i would have gone after gears first. I now have 3.73's but when i rebuilt my rear i'll probably jump to 4.10's. The intake did help but looking back gears probably would have been a better first choice. They were like 3rd after lt's, tb, and flows.