98 Cobra...harness question

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I have a 98 Cobra that came with the Mach 460 system. I just ordered a Pioneer head unit and I'm wondering which harness to get. Searching this forum, the only recommendation I can find is for the Metra harness, but that is for a 01+ Mach system. What do I need for mine? Can I just trust the installer at Best Buy or should I come with a harness in hand? Also, in the future, I'm going to be replacing the speakers. I know in the past, when I had a 96 GT, that I ended up bypassing the factory amps when upgrading the speakers. What do I need to know now, so that I can save myself headaches in the future.

I also plan on installing my XM and Sirius Pioneer tuners, and will have the Ipod adapter as well. Where can I put all this stuff? Will I be able to tuck all of this away with the free space after removing the stock head unit? I have a vert, where are the vert guys mounting their antennas?

• Sponsors (?)

God don't take it to Best Buy to have it done. They will more than likely not touch it because you have the Mach 460 or better yet tell you they will have to disconnect the entire Mach system and charge you for it. Not sure on the harness as I still have my Mach system that I run my ipod thru.

The best antenna mount I have seen is on the bracket where the windshield wipers are. There is not much free area behind the factory unit. When I had a Alpine head unit, I placed the ipod adapter and ipod in the glove box.

Good luck on your install.

Metra makes quality stuff, but any 1986-up plug should work

Entering the 98 Cobra info at Crutchfield (see link below) shows all Fords from 86 up use the same harness'. It looks just like the harness' I used. I actually tossed the ENTIRE stock system for a complete JL Audio & Panasonic setup. I tucked all the original wiring out of the way. You will get abit more room in the center console with an aftermarket head unit. You should probably put the satellite tuner(s) under the passenger seat or in the trunk. If you have a vert, the trunk lid would be an obvious place, but some people (not wanting to drill holes in the body of their ride) have installed antennas on the dash as well. It reduces the effectiveness, but a vert top may not interfere as much.

I agree with ChingonStang on the Best Buy aspect. Now before a Best Buy employee goes nuts here, I am not saying ALL Best Buys & Circuit City mobile audio guys are bad. I just haven't come across one yet to rival the quality or price of a reputable 12V tuner shop. I would look up some in the yellow pages, stop by their shops, and ask to see some of their work (check out the quality of products, care of customer cars, etc).

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9dEYBlbbu8L/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=120705002

I'm only doing this because I have Best Buy gift cards, otherwise, I would go to the local car audio place. I used to have a 96 GT with the Mach 460 and I got that head unit installed at Circuit City with no issues. One of the guys there had a 98 GT. I also have the option of just spending the $60 or so left on my cards on something else there.