99 cobra-What are best brake pads for the money?

Disneyfun1

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2000
Phoenix, AZ
I have not had to put on brakes since i bought the car used in 2003 with 59,000 miles on it. Im now at 105,500 and figure its about time to put on brake pads. I dont really hear any noises, but my ABS light seems to come on, then go back off again each day once or twice. I dont know if it has anything to do with the pads, but i figure its probably about time and cant hurt. I did go to auto zone to see if they can pull the code, but was told by them unless the actual check engine light is on, they cant pull abs codes. Know where else i can get this done or how to do it?

anyways, What would be the best brake pads to get for the buck? Dont want to go expensive, but would like to keep something like the stock feel at least, definately not worse.

Are dealer pads the way to go, or can i get a good set at auto zone or checker/Kragen, or someplace else?

also, does anyone have a link to or can you explain in detail how to change the front pads on the 99 cobra, as i have not attempted it before and want to make sure i know what im doing. Ive done them on other cars, but the first time always scares me and i dont want to mess it up.

thanks for any info.

• Sponsors (?)

I like the Raybestos ceramic pads. I have them on my '03 and they are excellent. I like their stopping power and the fact that ceramics pads are quiet. Their audible sound is above the threshold of human hearing, so you might irritate some dogs in the neighborhood, but at least you won't hear them.

:flag::nice:

Hawk brake pads seem to be the preferred performance pads.

We have a front and rear set for $160 for the HPS.

+2 im very happy with the HPS... no noise and little dust.

I have no clue about the ABS light coming on... way back when on my first toyota that could mean the brake fluid was a bit low. Its a long shot but worth a quick check? When I was doing the part time grease monkey gig, a lot of time an intermittent ABS light would lead to a bad electrical connection somewhere near the hub. Youll see the electrical wires when you do the pads.

I did all 4 Rotors and Pads about a year ago... everything was a straight forward (to a NOOB) brake job except 3 things that werent very clear in my Haynes manual:

1) The Rear Caliper Pistons wont just "push" in... ie using a C clamp to compress the piston and make room for the fresh new pads/rotors. It requires a special tool that literally screws the piston into the caliper. I rented a tool from AutoZone for a refundable $40. Check this link:
http://forums.stangnet.com/740379-help-rear-caliper-piston.html

2) The front pads are "friction" secured to the calipers, basically meaning there are 2 sets of circle prong-type clips that connect the two parts. Look at a set of applicable pads and you'll know what I mean. Either way its an intuitive design, the only rub is that it takes some leverage and patience to pry out the old pads and wiggle the new ones in.

3) I know a fluid exchange is strongly recommended but not necessary... the catch there is it can be difficult to do properly (air bubbles leaking into ABS = :notnice:) and might as well be done at the dealer FWIW.

If you want to search about new rotors, a set of Brembo blanks are relatively inexpensive and it might as well be a good time to replace? Here's what I found:
http://forums.stangnet.com/739086-rotors-best-bang.html

Overall it took me one weekend to complete the entire job... keep in mind I like to take my time though so id base that time estimate on an absolute maximum!

Hope that helps.

ABS Light

I have a problem with my ABS light only it stays on mostly . I have a friend who is a top SVT Mech at Ford with the help of their computer we found we have (or don't have) a ground issue. The ABS unit is missing a ground and it is in 1 of 2 places, at the ABS module in the frontright corner under the hood or at the traction control switch inside. We checked both and no broken pins but I may have to clean them both. After we were done the light was out for about 20 miles then back on. So you may want to look at those 2 spots and no Autozone can't read ABS codes you need the big computer to do that.