99 GT suspension question

Sonik1

Founding Member
Dec 26, 2000
Texas
Not sure if this is typical of all mustangs or just certain model years, but on mine the wheel gap (space between top of the tire and the top of the wheel well) is less at the rear compared to the front. The wheel gap at the rear is 2.5" compared to 2.75" at the front. This gives it the appearance that the front is sitting higher than the rear. Is this normal?

I ask because I'd like to change the stance and add a new suspension. I was thinking about the Mach 1 or bullit suspension setups. If I were to install either one of these would the wheel gap even out or would it stay similar (the rear with less wheel gap than the front)?

• Sponsors (?)

Sonik1 said:
Not sure if this is typical of all mustangs or just certain model years, but on mine the wheel gap (space between top of the tire and the top of the wheel well) is less at the rear compared to the front. The wheel gap at the rear is 2.5" compared to 2.75" at the front. This gives it the appearance that the front is sitting higher than the rear. Is this normal?

I ask because I'd like to change the stance and add a new suspension. I was thinking about the Mach 1 or bullit suspension setups. If I were to install either one of these would the wheel gap even out or would it stay similar (the rear with less wheel gap than the front)?
The bullitt supension gives an even drop, with the rear sitting slightly higher than the front, and the spring rates are a good improvement over stock, but its only a .75" drop. I would suggest getting the steeda sport springs or their competition springs (difference is the competition springs have a stiffer progressive spring rate in front 750-850 verses the sport version which is 550-650 i believe). Both of those steeda springs will lower the car 1.25" and you will not need caster camber plates in front. Anything over 1.5" you need caster camber plates.

I run the bullitt supsension right now along with other components, but will be switching to coilovers in front soon. If you have any questions feel free to ask

-wade

I have the FRPP C springs and I got about an inch drop. The rear sits a touch higher now than the front does. It gives a slight raked appearance. Ride is definatly rougher but not bad by any means. I would suggest some bullit or mach 1 shocks and struts while youre changing the springs.

Thanks for the replies guys. Bottom line is if I get new springs, struts and shocks i'd like to have the stance where the rear sits a tad higher than the front. At least make it look even....

Just curious Wade, are you happy with the bullit suspension setup? I'm looking at the one at GEFracing.com. I think I'm only considering the Mach1 or Bullit setup listed on their website because of price. Are there any other opinions out there.... which one, bullit or mach1?

Sonik1 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Bottom line is if I get new springs, struts and shocks i'd like to have the stance where the rear sits a tad higher than the front. At least make it look even....

Just curious Wade, are you happy with the bullit suspension setup? I'm looking at the one at GEFracing.com. I think I'm only considering the Mach1 or Bullit setup listed on their website because of price. Are there any other opinions out there.... which one, bullit or mach1?
I have heard they are almost identicle, Mach1 seems to be prefered because of cost, but both should do just fine. They both seem to get great reviews as well. I have the steeda sports springs and will be adding the mach1 shocks and struts after my cams come in.

Sonik1 said:

I'm happy with the ride quality and value of the bullitt kit. Its the best bang for your buck out there for a spring/damper kit. Mine didn't come with the swaybars so thats a good value from GEFracing.com . Like i said, i'm just looking for another half inch of a drop and a little stiffer rate in front.. For most people the Bullitt springs in front are stiff enuff.. 600lbs. compression is very good compared to the other springs out there (stiffer than the average aftermarket spring).

From what i understand the bullitt kit has a slightly stiffer rate in rear (due to the rear shocks) than the mach 1 kit, so personally i'd stick with the bullitt.
219150_74_full.jpg

Just keep in mind the bullitt kit is not "the end" of a good suspension kit. From my experience, subframe connectors of course, and Lower control arms are needed to have a respectable handling stang.

-wade

Sweet rides.... Excuse my ignorance at the moment but does anyone know what the advantage is of having the sway bars that come with the bullitt kit over the stock setup i have now? Just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra money. I must say I have been a bigger fan of the bullitt's stance compared to the mach1. any other ideas on a better source or a better deal for a similar product?

i was wondering about the sway bars that come with the bullitt also. if the are worth the extra money aposed to just adding extra weight. unless the bullitt sway bars are lighter then stock sway bars. anyone know?

also what do u guys think about having no spare, rear seat delete, no air conditioner, lighter k member. i was wondering if this was enough weight loss to effect the drop of the springs(any springs)?

The Bullitt sway bars are junk, the front bar is 28mm (GT=26.5mm) and the rear is the V6 bar (GT=23mm).

Just get the Mach1 kit and buy a 2003-2004 Cobra front sway bar which usually can be bought for $70 or less. As for the rear bar the GT and Mach1 use the same 23mm bar. If you want to upgrade the rear bar like I did a bar used on the 1998 Cobra is best (27mm solid) and is $90.