A/C Compressor Not Engaging

94GTPilot

Mar 26, 2006
Hey guys. I just relocated to South Texas for jet training for the Marines, and had my 94 Mustang GT shipped from my hometown in CA to our new house down here. It had been in my parents driveway for almost a year before it shipped to TX. After a few days, I noticed that when I turned the AC switch inside the car on, I didn't hear the compressor click on, and obviously wasn't getting any cold air.

I did a search on here, and know that there's a low pressure switch that disables the compressor from engaging so that it doesn't burn itself up. My question is, where do I start my trouble shooting? I also read about using a wire to jump a switch, allowing the compressor to engage momentarily. That, or is there a way I can measure the pressure on the low pressure side and get a reading that would let me know whether or not the problem is related to not enough refrigerant..

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

The easiest way is to jump the switch with a paper clip. The switch is on top of the accumulator on the passenger side of the firewall. Pull the plug out, and jump the two ends of the plug together with the paper clip. If the clutch engages, then it's either a faulty switch, or your gas pressure is too low.

Kurt