a diffferent smog pump Q

Mr. Stallion

Founding Member
Aug 6, 2001
San Jose, CA
Here's my question:

I bypassed the smog pump on my 89lx by running a shorter belt. The pump itself is still hooked up, but i've just bypassed it.

Will this cause any issues by driving the car like this?
I was reading in another post about how the pump could get clogged or may damage the tubing and get full of sut. I am running no cats at this time.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Smog pumps tend to lock up if they aren't used. If you bypassed the system, cap all the hoses including the one that comes off the H pipe. You can just use a couple inches of hose and a large bolt w/band clamp to do so.
Kevin

the pump still spins freely by hand. It's been bypassed for months, but this is a car that see's about 6-700miles a year. It mostly gets driven locally on weekends if I have time. It's a 3rd car.

So I should just cap off the lines to be on the safe side?

i would take the smog pump off if i was you and just store it somewhere if you ever want it to work again...my friends was bypassed when he got the car..who knows how long it was like that but it was sooooo rusted there was no way that thing was gonna ever spin again

lol...you can spin the smog pump freely by hand. How much power do you think you lose through spinning the smog pump??!!! the smog pump literally takes next to no power to spin. you're not gaining anything by bypassing it.

as well, it's not lack of use that makes them go bad, as I've had my car sit for months without using it. My theory is that the tension from the belt on the pulley is what keeps it ok. When the tension is released, they nearly all lock up after a while.

put the right belt back on. Your cats will thank you too