a few ?'s on 97 Cobra's

lazerred94stang

Aug 17, 2004
Wisconsin
I currently own a 94 Mustang Gt 5.0. The tranny is slipping and was rebuilt about 20k miles ago and the car is stock other than cold air intake and exhaust. So naturally i am thinking about an upgrade. In my neighborhood there is a 97 Cobra for sale at a dealership with 60,000 miles on it. I am really not to knowledgable on the 4.6 engine in 97 they had dual overhead cams correct? Was that rated at 305hp? I friend of mine says a friend of his has a 97 Cobra convertable and according to the owner is piss slow and he has a bunch of mods on it. Also i was reading that all sorts of people on this site were having problems with the tremec trannys in those. I realize things are going to break and wear down on cars when you drive them hard every once in a while. Basically i am looking for a car that is quick that i can put a few minor mods on and be able to run in the high 13's low 14's in the 1/4 at the track but still be my daily driver. I am looking for some peoples opinions on this.

Thank you for your time and thoughts

• Sponsors (?)

Your 5.0 is more of a "torquer" and the 4.6 SOHC or DOHC is a "revver". The Cobra 4.6 is not slow. I would suggest you go to the SVT section here and ask your question. I"m not being rude. Those guys prolly have better answers than us SOHC idiots. :banana:

Stock numbers from ford 13.9 at 101 mph I think. I got one a year and a half ago, and love it. Although traction is the killer, as you mod it , you have to try to keep up in the rear end. get it and put some gears on it. pm me if you have any other questions.

I went to the dealership today to check out the Cobra. You guys are right i am hooked. Man that car was mean, really pulls hard. It is in really nice shape also no dings or dents really clean. I has an aftermarket clutch and Flowmaster mufflers which sounds pretty smooth. It shifts smooth. I think i could some up the whole car as smooth. Its white with 62,000 miles. The only thing that bothers me is the price they are asking for it 10,999 and it is non negotiable. What do you guys think is that a fair price? The tires that are on it are crap. So brand i have not even heard of. Other than that i love the car.

Sounds like a rare find if you ask me.The price sounds about normal.
In my area for some reason Cobra's and Black Mustang GT's are
very rare I just don't see them alot.You should go for it it sounds like
a great deal! :nice: So,the tires are worn that's no big deal get the
Cobra and replace the crappy tires with a nice brand new set of
Nitto 555's! :nice:
(Get it because you mine be passing up a rare chance at a Cobra)

dealerships are always negotiable, even if its one of those "fair priced, no haggling" dealerships. I'd make an offer and look around at autotrader.com. Do some research on the average price of the car.

Wow, I just did a quick search on autotrader in my area and '96 to '98 cobras are really expensive. That sounds like a fair price. The cheapest one I found was 9k with 100k miles on it.