Ad-bots in our threads! Confusing.

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
It looks like there's some new forum "feature" that picks out keywords and makes them links to advertisers' websites. Given how everyone here posts inline links to actual things they're talking about it can be confusing! In the g-Bar thread it already looked like people were posting links to exhaust (see, there's an example) solutions when really it was the ad-bot.

"exhaust" is the only one I've seen so far, but I'm sure there's more to come! :mad:

Let's see:

exhaust
suspension
steering
brakes
wheels
tires
EFI
transmission

oh i thought you were talking about how on some forums if you hold your mouse over the text it shows a tiny window with ads.

no, i'm seeing the same thing you are, but i've never noticed it in classic tech. maybe it depends on what subforum you're in?

I just noticed this auto ad-linking today as well, on the word "exh@ust" no less. It also occurred to me that there could be confusion about what link was posted by the originator of the thread and what link was inserted by the SN adbots.

I understand that I don't directly pay for my ability to use this site, but some of the advertising tactics are getting irritating. :notnice: