air shocks, what are they used for?

• Sponsors (?)

i thought they were for load. i was actually considering them because i have a part time delivering papers in the morning, and right now i have a couple of spacers in the springs in the back.

i guess thatll do for now. thanks for the quick response :)

They allow you to basically adjust the right height and 'spring rate'. The higher the pressure, the stiffer the suspension. If you have a heavy load, you increase the pressure to carry it safely, and without bottoming out the back end.
Drag racers love them because it allows them to lower the pressure for better weight transfer. Then, they can jump back on the street and suffer no ill effects of a drag racing suspension.
They are also used extensively by ricers and show cars to dramatically change the ride height. Kinda dumb, because unless you have a solid axle, changing the ride hieght destroys the alignment.

bhuff30 said:
They are also used extensively by ricers and show cars to dramatically change the ride height. Kinda dumb, because unless you have a solid axle, changing the ride hieght destroys the alignment.

Sounds to me like you're thinking of air bags, not air shocks. Two very different things there.
Drag racers usually use air bags as well. Usually they put one inside the passenger side spring, so that when they pressurize the air bag the car won't twist toward that side as much and it helps both tires maintain equal traction.

Red_LX said:
Sounds to me like you're thinking of air bags, not air shocks. Two very different things there.
Drag racers usually use air bags as well. Usually they put one inside the passenger side spring, so that when they pressurize the air bag the car won't twist toward that side as much and it helps both tires maintain equal traction.
thats what I would say.
I used that inflatable system in the 351w and it works great.

Get a set of moog cargo coils-a good compromise between load and handling. Problem with air shocks to increase payload capacity is if they blow out or loose a line while under load, there you sit with your fenders on the tires.