Alarm Advice

rabidscoobie

10 Year Member
Jun 21, 2007
College Station,TX
Im about to get an alarm system for the Mach,but I need some advise/opinions here since its been a few years since I have bought one.Im looking at 2 diff ones but not sure which one I would want or need.What ones would any of you get and why?Just trying to deciede here.Also on my 01 GT it had a DEI alarm but the factory key pads were used with it,does anyone know if that could be done with either one of these,I like to have it that way for backups or if I have to leave the car with a shop or anything.
Here are the two:

Viper 350HV,I can get this for $80 NIB
Viper - Security - Viper 350HV

Code Alarm CA-671,I can get this $130 NIB.
CODE ALARM - CA671
This also comes with a Viper 632T Mercury hood/trunk tilt sensor,this is not wherer I would be getting it from,just put up the link for the specs.I dont really care for remote start and I know it cant be used with a manual.
Well here are more detailed specs for the code alarm:
System features

* Starter disable with selectable active or passive arming
* Super Bright Blue LED status indicator lamp
* 1400' of Maximum transmitter range operating at 433Mhz
* 2 Transmitters in kit
1 Five-button LCD two way with clock/timer lock/unlock and status display
1 Six button transmitter with LED flashlight
* Transmitters feature labeled buttons and use CodeShift Anti-Grab TX technology
* Remote Car Find with flashing parking lights and a progressively louder audible alert
* 5, 10, 15, 20 minute selectable remote start run time
* Diesel Engine compatible with wait to start
* External start trigger
* Crank averaging with voltage sense
* Shock sensor with infrared technology
Features 64 step remote adjustment
2 Zones: Full trigger/Lite touch
* Alarm/Panic features horn honk with Real Panic Sound, flashes parking lights and sounds 127 Db weatherproof siren
* 30 Second alarm duration with 5 trip NYC Approved Noise Pollution Cycle
* 5 Zone input: Door, Trunk, Hood, Shock, Ext sensor
* Coded and Standard Button Selectable Override
* Selectable Arm/Disarm Horn/Siren output
* Dedicated remote panic button
* Programmable dome light entry and exit illumination delay control
* 2-Way communication from the alarm to the LCD keyfob transmitter:
System Status
Alarm Trip notification
Remote start confirmation notification
Countdown remote start timer display
* 5 Auxiliary outputs for headlights, windows up, windows down, door poppers, etc...
* 24 Hour time start mode
* Cold temperature self-start mode
* Selectable turbo timer operation
* Telematics input for remote operation from an 800 number/ or www
* Songbird siren output option
* Plus of course the free Viper OEM merc switch which will save you huge time under the hood.
Instead of using the spring loaded pin switch that every alarm manufacturer sticks us with, just like I do at retail, the hood protection is upgraded
to a tilt sensor impervious to the elements and free from the failure prone springs and pins.

• Sponsors (?)

i had one on my car and took it off. i dont see the need for an alarm

Well I use to think that way too years ago,but my cars would always get broken into.Then I got a car with an alarm in it already and I was able to make an entire year without someone breaking into it,then I had the dumb idea of taking it out...made maybe 2 weeks before some got it.The only times I have had my car broken into was when I forgot to arm it.Also around here we dont really worry about the car being stolen,just getting things stolen out of it.

Also from knowing the kinds of people I used to know back in the day....most break-ins are done by someone close in your neighborhood,Why?cause they know the area,know the owners habits.And if it does have an alarm they will do a test.....for a couple nights they will intentionaly set of the alarm just to see if the owner will react...it not then they will hit it....so it does help.Besides if someones gonna breakin they will do it anyway I know,but I want every chance to catch them in the act,I live in Texas and as long as its dark outside I have the right to defend myself and protect my property....I also have Glock .40cal for car security...:D and I will not hesitate to protect it.

Never owned a car alarm in my life. I only use a clutch lock rarely. My interior is almost bone stock. If he brings tools, he could try to get some stuff off the engine. I just mainly stay aware of the place I'll be driving my Mach to. If it's a ghetto neighborhood, forget it, I'll drive my Focus.

True,Im the same way,but this town isnt huge like dallas or houston,its only around 100k people and it doesnt matter what your neighbor hood is like,Im not in the ghetto nor have I ever been but I would get hit all the time.Like I said its not the car being stolen that im worried about,its all the other stuff,Stereo,radar detectors,cd's and other expensive items.

Well thats not the types that do breakins around here...let me put it this way I live in southern central texas and if anyone knows much about texas,we are flooded with illegal's(Mexico) and since the Katrina Hurricane we also have alot of lower income,poverty level refugees here still and since then crime rate here has really really gone up.Heres one ex:My dad lives in a good nieghborhood($125k-300k homes)and just 2 weeks ago some one stole his motorcycle trailer right outta the driveway and it was secured with a padlock through the hitch and a chain around a cemented basketball pole.Then about a month ago the house across from him was broken into as others have been recently.With these types of lwo tech quick grab and run typpe crooks...a car alarm is alot more help than what you might think.Now if i lived in west or most northern part of Texas I wouldnt worry with an alarm but from this area im not far from Mexico and Lousianna(No offense to LA but Katrina refugees have really hurt this are bad).Im not trying to offend anyone with this statement,its just the facts.

And if I could use my garage that would help while im at home,but its just too cluttered with tools and music equipment(I play guitars mainly,then bass and drums,so with all that in there I have no room until I get a bigger house)

Types crimes on the rise here right now are:Car burlgaries,convienence store hold ups,BANK ROBBERIES(the one 1/2 mile from my house has been robbed 4 times since Jan.),home invasions,and personal attacks in the parking lot(mainly WalMart,A woman was just attacked last week in the middle of the day).Its gotten to the point here that if I have to goto walmart after dark...I go armed,and yes its legal for me to do so.Like I said this town only has around 100k population but from the sounds of it you would think its somewhere like Houston or dallas from all the crime rates.

Anyway, ive installed 200-300 DEI Viper 350's. Great cheap alarm, I never had anyone ask me to program their stock remote for one though :shrug:
Since your car is a stick I would not get the starting system. Its great if you only want it for the two way communications and better remote but I have seen to many guys start their car in gear and hit something :nonono: Not saying you would but it happens.
Vipers are great alarms, DEI is the king of automotive alarms and has the most experience so I always stuck with them. After 500+ installs I have only had to replace 1 :nice: I dont have any experience with Code Alarm so i cant say, if its part of Audiovox its 50/50 it will be good.

If you just want to lock/unlock and pop the trunk then the 350 is the way to go. It has another channel so you could have it roll windows down and/or turn on the strereo, stuff like that. Dont opt for the radar sensor, they are cool for verts but hard tops tend to get ALOT of false triggers. Also the glass breakage is not needed cause the shock sensor will feel the impact anyway.

Thx for the info Lazer.I have only had one DEI in my 01 gt but it went bad about 2months before I got rid of it and thats my only experience with it but it had been in the car since it was new.I went ahead and grabbed the Code Alarm i have had several of them without a single problem but its just been along time since I bought an alarm.

I dont care for the remote start to be honest,but if i did want it there is a module I can get for it for manuals.Basicly has wires that goto ebrake,neutral start switch and some sensor to tell if the car is in gear or not.But thats not what I want the alarm for.Ii wanna keep all the stock functions of the factory keyless plus have an alarm.I only paid $130 for it brand new sealed in the box,not a refurb or anything like that.If you serch the web for it most places sell it for $300+. I can most likely do they install myself since I have installed around maybe 20 or so Code Alarms in the past,but never on a ford so I dunno how much diff its gonna be.Really the car is already wired for an alarm that I guess the previous owner removed but nobody has been able to tell what kind of alarm it might have been,it has one relay,14 pin harness, and a fused wire,and the siren was also removed...I can see where it was actually mounted under the hood.

Look for the lock relays. If they are already wired it will save you alot of trouble. Is the code alarm internal locking relays? Anyway its a five wire setup and all in the d/s kick pannel. Pink with yellow and pink with green. Might be blue stripe on one of them cause I have seen that a couple times. Gotta cut the wires and splice in the relays. I cant find my DEI acc number or I would log on to guive you the wire out :(

Viper, Viper, Viper. Or at least DEI (they own Viper). I Also have quite a bit of experiance with alarms, and have had little to no problems with DEI stuff. Your factory keyless module is located under your dash towards the drivers kick pannel. (Black plastic box with wiring connectors pointing toward the floor, if memory serves me.) You should be able to find 90% of the wires you need there. He is right about the lock wires being pink/yellow& pink/green, but on the new 'stangs they should just be + switching, you shouldnt need to go five wire.(However. it will still work if you do it that way.) Dont go with the factory add-on alarms (uses stock keypad.) they dont have the features, expandability, or sensitivity of a good aftermarket one. (Viper). If you need any more help with the wiring, just post it or get ahold of me. I have wiring colors for the stangs if you need 'em. (There right about 90% of the time) Or I can just find the wire on my 'stang and let you know wich one it is.

I've found that they really dont care if you have a alarm, they just cut my wires under the dash and then stole everything after the alarm was off. This happened to me when I was 17 in my honda, yeah I said honda.
We are glad you came out of the closet :nice: :nonono:

JK :D
I always tried to talk my customers into upgrading to the battery back up siren to combat that problem.

Thx for all the info guys.The lock relays are already wired from the previuos from the looks of it.The code alarm I beleive have internal relays,I do have a battery backup for an alarm,not sure if it will work.Do you think I will need to removed the old relays and put the original wiring back for the ones.That looks to be the only cut wires alll the others are just spliced.And those colors that you mentioned I believe would be right,at least thats the colors hey were in my TA and silverado I had.

Now as for them cutting the wires...they will need to know exactly where to find them since I dont just put the alarm brain behind the kick panel.In my old gt I relocated the brain to be kinda under the dash but mounted well behind the center console,then used wire loom and creatively hid that up high under the dash along the firewall.at least it slows them down.the shop Im getting it from will be supplier a car specific wiring diagram for the alarm and the cars wireing colors.Ive done installs before,had a cousin that used to do this sort of thing for a living and learned alot from him and have installed several for myself and others.

Well, the easy way is to just use the Code Alarms output from its relays to energize the old relays but it would be better to remove the old relays and wire the outputs on the new alarm into the same spots.

Well i guess all relays are internal,heres some of the info I got about it.....

Quote:
The Code Alarm systems are among the most straightforward systems to install- ever. Because of their on-board relays and selectable polarity, it is very simple to hook up.

System includes a slick, small, even lighter 1-way transmitter with LED flashlight.
* All on-board relays with fuse set polarity for the fastest, safest, most appealing installation available.