All gauges stopped working... Help Please

mercury267

May 1, 2006
On a 1995 Mustang GT the entire gauge cluster and clock have stopped working. There are NO readings on any of my factory gauges. The clock screen stays black.

This is what I know...
The illumination bulbs in the cluster light up, the indicators for blinkers, flashers, and hi beams work.
The speedo, tach, oil, battery, temp, and fuel gauges show no reading.

I took out the cluster and replaced the circuit board in the small slot on the back... no change. I also replaced the cluster with a used cluster (presumed good)... no change.

There are 2 plug ins on the back of the cluster. One is black and one is white.

Looking at the black on in the direction it plugs into the cluster is has a total of 16 pins from 1 to 9 with a small space and the remaining 7.
As in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 - 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

The white plug (also facing in the direction it plugs into the cluster) also has 16 pins from 1 to 7 with a small space and the remaining 9.
As in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

I checked for 12V reading on each pin of the BLACK harness... it shows power on both pins #6 and 13 with the key on and car running. No other 12V power.
With the the headlights on and the HI-BEAMS turned on those 2 terminals retain power and the #15 pin then gives a 12V reading.

On the WHITE harness... There are NO pins providing a 12V power feed with the key on and the car running. If I turn the FLASHERS on the #1 pin flashes a 12V reading. With the headlights turned on the #11 pin gives a 12V reading.

On the clock, there are 8 total pins. TWO pins with wires on the top 4 slots and THREE pins with wires on the bottom 4 slots:
Note: Terminal slots 3,4, and 5 are empty.
As in:

With the key on and car running #2 and #7 pins give a 12V reading. With the headlights on they retain a reading and the #1 and #8 pin also give a 12V feed.
Pin #6 never gives a 12V reading under any conditions.

I am presuming that there is a module in the car that sends gauge information to the cluster (???). If so, where might it be located, and can it be tested?

PM me or email at [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Visually the fuse looked fine, but I could not get actual continuity across the fuse. (lesson learned here, don't cut corners when checking fuses).
After replacing the fuse, the gauges began providing a reading, but were doing what they had done originally and were giving false readings.
Replacing the dash clock with another unit somehow seems to have corrected the misreading gauges.

Problem solved, thanks eeveryone for their help.