Alternator Upgrade Advice?

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Anyone know where to get an uprgrade for 5.0 alternator for a decent price? (3G?) I need one ASAP! I was looking on ebay but i can't find it now!! what should i watch out for? reman with all orig. parts right? anything else?

I'd prefer something polished or chrome, but not if its garbage... Also hoping not to break the bank! (guess its hard to have it all though!) also, will i need new wiring stuff? Just looking for some experienced info! thx

• Sponsors (?)

A 3G alternator requires you to do some grinding on your bracket to get it to fit, but you can get them in 130 amp to 200 amp models.

The 6G alternators (small case alternators) don't require bracket modification, and come in 90 to 150 amp capacities.

You can find them here: PA Performance

Or here: Alterstart

Do not forget to buy a wiring upgrade kit to go with the new alternator. DO NOT USE THE FACTORY WIRING ON AN UPGRADED ALTERNATOR!

See the Useful Technical Thread Index sticky at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum for 3G conversion instructions.. There is a ton of information in there.

I got a Sable 3G and had it rebuilt, it cost me 80 bucks CAD. Also got a small 40mm pulley for it (since I have underdrive)...

You'll also need a LittleFuse MEGA175 amps fuse and fuse holder and some 4ga wire and terminals (you can get that at autoparts). I'm going to do a nice write up this weekend.

things to do:

- have the alternator back part rotated so the connections face outside the moter

- notch the alternator bracket so the alt. can fit in there.

- keep the stock connectors from the "new" alt. you'll need to cut the wh/bk wire from the stock connector and install the small grey connector to that wire and plug it in the 3G

- The connector with the two bk/or wires can be removed BUT BE CAREFULL there is a green wire on the solonoid that connects those black wires AND that yellow wire that also goes to the 3G (needed for the regulator). Make sure that yellow wire is still intact don't cut the green wire lol

(I passed the wires with the new 4ga wire, so I removed the black/orange wire from the harness [one that reaches around the front]... My "new" setup of wires follows the starter cable and such but I do have all my wires hidden and cleaned up.)

- use a 175amp MEGA fuse from LittleFuse in the main line (4ga)...

that's all I can think of now...