Alternator upgrade

808Gt

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Hawaii
I have been reading for awhile on the upgrade but didnt do it yet but am going to do it after tax returns...

I wanted to know if anyone has pictures of a 6G alternator and what cars can I get it from for a straight bolt on well dunno if it will be a straight bolt on but yea, I read that some one has done it but didnt see any pics...

any info would help....

• Sponsors (?)

No matter what high current alternator you use, you will need to upgrade the power wiring to a 4 gauge fused power wire. See the Useful Technical Thread Index Sticky at the top of the forum for help with the wiring. Inside it are links to the 3G upgrade and many more useful tech notes.

If you did a search using 6G*, you would have come up with http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=587370&highlight=6G* which is a very good 6G swap thread.

I have a 6G in my car. Grab one off ebay, they are cheap on there.

Yes its a straight bolt on with no grinding of the bracket, besides splicing in the new connector which is a piece of cake. Just make sure you get the alternator with the ears clocked the same way as your old alternator and it will drop right in.

No matter what high current alternator you use, you will need to upgrade the power wiring to a 4 gauge fused power wire. See the Useful Technical Thread Index Sticky at the top of the forum for help with the wiring. Inside it are links to the 3G upgrade and many more useful tech notes.

If you did a search using 6G*, you would have come up with http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=587370&highlight=6G* which is a very good 6G swap thread.

Read the thread above that Jrichker posted. All your answers to your questions are in there.

I can go to the parts store online just as easy, but that doesn't help if I don't have a year, make, or model to look at. I am quite sure if I go in and say "I'm looking for a 6g 130 amp alternator", most of them would not even know what a 3g is let alone a 6g.

Just trying to get some more info before waisting my time looking and searching.

Thanks