Drivetrain Start up help...loud noise

necrotallica

Jan 5, 2024
First post in this forum but have already come here countless times for help and read it. I have a 1988 fox roller with 1990 engine that I purchased early last summer. It was not running when I bought it most likely due to rocker adjustment being out of whack.

Since day one it has occasionally made this nasty binding/grinding sound on startup attempts. Now it is doing it 99% of the time. Originally thought it was loose top starter bolt as it was originally when I got the car...as they are a PITA to get at but, I replaced both the solenoid and the starter making sure everything was tightened with little to no difference. Still making the noise and the starter is in tight. Someone suggested it may me a misaligned clutch to flywheel....not sure. Open to any and all insight.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe a starter-to-flywheel alignment issue? Is it the original bellhousing? Have you checked/seen the condition of the flywheel teeth? Does it make the noise 100% of the time when trying to start it?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe a starter-to-flywheel alignment issue? Is it the original bellhousing? Have you checked/seen the condition of the flywheel teeth? Does it make the noise 100% of the time when trying to start it?
I don't think it's the starter to flywheel because the sound is more of a binding...but with grinding also--- if that makes any sense. I'm afraid to keep doing it to even record video but may have to.

Yes in the original bell housing. Teeth looked good other than small amounts of shavings. As far as the frequency of when it will make this horrific sound-- it's really weird. When I put in the new starter, it turned over for about 10 seconds without starting OR binding, then ended with the binding and seems to do it even when only bumping the ignition all of the time now. Which is the state it was in when I decided to throw a new starter at it.

I've recently read elsewhere that someone with a similar problem (I think going by sound description with no video) that it could have been a distributor gear or loose flywheel.

Reactions: 1 user
So with a T5 car there is a plate that goes between the block and the flywheel. I have seen this get installed backwards and cause noise. If it is only when you start the car then I would think its how the starter is engaging the flywheel. The teeth on the flywheel will tell you that story.

So with a T5 car there is a plate that goes between the block and the flywheel. I have seen this get installed backwards and cause noise. If it is only when you start the car then I would think its how the starter is engaging the flywheel. The teeth on the flywheel will tell you that story.
Thanks, but the teeth are good. Just a little bit of metal shavings. If the plate was installed backwards wouldn't that change where the starter hole is?