Always wondered this about insurance...

exindust

May 8, 2004
Moorpark, CA
If you have a stock GT and put on say a Roush front end, a shaker hood, and a KB or something and you get in an accident and your bumper, hood, and KB gets damaged and the other person claims liability are they only liable to replace what *was* on your car when it was stock, essentially taking it back to stock... or are they required to replace what they broke... roush... kb .. etc...

• Sponsors (?)

If you want yer insurance to replace what was actually there, you need to tell them when you add it... which of course will drive up yer insurance costs... Otherwise they will replace to stock, but you may be able to discuss with the body shop and arrange a deal to get the A/M parts put on at a discount or sumthin.

when i was rear ended the insurance company put my magna packs back on my car. I never told them about it but i believe there was some kinda clause about aftermarket parts.

If the other driver is at fault for the accident their company will be obligated to replace the parts on your vehicle. Chances are good the replacements would be used if they are available.The others are correct in that you need to let your company know about parts you add in case you ever need to file on your policy, ie. you're at fault, fire, or vandalism. I was an adjuster in Texas but laws are different from state to state.

Mike

Interesting.....I'd think the biggest concerns come when you drop on a $6k KB on the block and have the car totaled out or something. Can you go and pull that KB off the car assuming its still solid? Imagine a front end collision where your engine is toasted along with your KB....most insurance companies would not give you a new KB!