Amazing oil disappearing on dipstick trick

Inneh

Aug 4, 2020
Seattle, WA
I did a light search on this but the results are vastly overwhelmed by people that have simply not added the appropriate amount of oil after a change.

I recently got a 2000 3.8, upon purchasing I went through the regular fluid checks, oil looked decent and of a good enough level that I decided to wait a bit on an oil change. I've driven less than 1000 miles so far and checked again just for fun. Lots of oil way high on the dipstick before wipe. Wipe, recheck and dry. Erm. Okay. So I added a quart to see what I was dealing with. Dry again. Ran for a minute. Checked, oil up the dipstick, wiped, and dry on the recheck.

Can anyone tell me what the hell I'm missing here? Is it possible it is just going through THAT much oil and it is THAT low?! Oil pressure has been consistent and good according to factory gauge... however I also know from experience sometimes the factory gauges suck. I'm headed a couple blocks to get some more oil while I wait for enlightenment.

• Sponsors (?)

I did a light search on this but the results are vastly overwhelmed by people that have simply not added the appropriate amount of oil after a change.

I recently got a 2000 3.8, upon purchasing I went through the regular fluid checks, oil looked decent and of a good enough level that I decided to wait a bit on an oil change. I've driven less than 1000 miles so far and checked again just for fun. Lots of oil way high on the dipstick before wipe. Wipe, recheck and dry. Erm. Okay. So I added a quart to see what I was dealing with. Dry again. Ran for a minute. Checked, oil up the dipstick, wiped, and dry on the recheck.

Can anyone tell me what the hell I'm missing here? Is it possible it is just going through THAT much oil and it is THAT low?! Oil pressure has been consistent and good according to factory gauge... however I also know from experience sometimes the factory gauges suck. I'm headed a couple blocks to get some more oil while I wait for enlightenment.

Two things: 1) change the oil and filter replacing the correct amount of oil iaw OEM specs. Run the motor a minute to circulate the oil. Stop the motor. Pull the stick, wipe it clean...then check the oil with the motor off. If okay...you're done...if not go to 2).

2) purchase the correct oil dipstick for your motor...try RockAuto. Cheers.

Two things: 1) change the oil and filter replacing the correct amount of oil iaw OEM specs. Run the motor a minute to circulate the oil. Stop the motor. Pull the stick, wipe it clean...then check the oil with the motor off. If okay...you're done...if not go to 2).

2) purchase the correct oil dipstick for your motor...try RockAuto. Cheers.

IAW, huh.... you in aviation maintenance by chance? :)

Check oil filter, make sure it's tight and was properly lubed when installed (not just light hand tight, but pretty damn tight hand tight)

Check oil drain plug bolt (there's a rubber gasket on it if you have a good one, this rots occasionally. OR you could have a cheap aftermarket one with plastic gasket instead which are JUNK and leak

Oil Filter Adapter Housing (more costly but these can leak also - the actual mechanism that holds the oil filter and housing

Can lose oil from PCV (Bad Blow By, bad PCV Grommet, not being fully seated, pcv getting stuck causing over pressure in the crank etc, really bad rings, etc

Check oil filler cap also

Finally, could be Rear Main Seal which you can't always see or notice, as well as actual oil pan.