An example of why selling a car is so difficult...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To justamustang guy:

you could take a GT to Indiana sell it for 8k
take THE SAME CAR to new York, sell it for 6
take the same car to Cali and sell it for 10k

Consider cost of living, availability, and population as well as a million other things before you tell someone they don't know what they're talking about...

• Sponsors (?)

To justamustang guy:

you could take a GT to Indiana sell it for 8k
take THE SAME CAR to new York, sell it for 6
take the same car to Cali and sell it for 10k

Consider cost of living, availability, and population as well as a million other things before you tell someone they don't know what they're talking about...

ALthough a little harsh, for the most part he's right. I hear plenty of people talk about these great and plentiful deals that they "just missed" but when it comes right down to it, do they really exist? All I know, is that for $12-15K, you're going to get little more than a high mileage wreck, salvage title around here.

As it is, $25,000 is going to get you something with no less than 50,000km on it....all of which are hard driven...and based on my search efforts, that's pretty much all the way across Canada!

I agree, that's all I'm saying. When someone says "I scored one for 13k in a market where they go for 18-20k, it isn't ALWAYS a steal. There's too many variables when buying cars for there to be a set in stone price for anything.

Clean title...

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4743-front.jpg

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4741-back-right.jpg

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4746-motor.jpg

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4742-driverdoor.jpg

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4745-inside2.jpg

fastdriver-albums-bro-s-03-cobra-picture4744-inside1.jpg

I think a 99GT is a 5-6k car, and with a $9k drivetrain, regardless of the other modifications, it isn't worth $15k. Especially, considering what you can buy a similar mileage '03 Cobra for. That was his point, and the only thing I see eye to eye with him on. However, I absolutely agree that his offer is a low-ball bull**** trade for your car.

I knew I was going to offend you, and I apologize. Sometimes I can't keep my mouth shut.

And no, I've already established in this thread that I would not willingly sell or trade my turbo hatch for anything short of a ridiculous offer in my favor. I wouldn't even take the investment that I already have in the car.

Chris

No harm done, Chris. I overreacted a bit. I understand the point you were trying to make. However, here in New York, Terminators go for minimum $22k. The lowest I've seen one go for was $19k and it had 100k on it. They are extremely desirable in my area. This entire selling scenario just has me on the defensive lately. It seems like most people will try to put the car down in some kind of weird backwards way of getting you to lower the price into their affordability range. I've dealt with it a lot on the sites I have the car for sale on. I'm one lowball away from keeping it and just modding it the way I originally intended.

i'd honestly make some sort of deal with you on it. for my notch + cash. your just too far away. im in washington state.

the problem is, you have basically, a buyer specific car. it's already completely setup to a small margin of people. even smaller who can pay for it.

you will also encounter, everyone who wants to trade is usually an idiot. you have a guy there, who wants top dollar for his stuff, and bottom dollar for yours. that car is easily worth 15k. a cobra with 15k miles goes for 20+ here FAST.

you just need to find the right buyer who appreciates what the car has become. you will find someone eventually. i sell car parts alot, i know your pain.

good luck man.

I hated selling my '03 GT. That's why in the end i just traded it in after a year of dealing with yahoos. Sure the economy tanked, but i wasn't about to give the car away.

I think i originally listed it for $12K and came down to $9500. I got some real winners.

A lot of people would ask me my bottom line dollar 2 mins into the conversation, then would get upset I wouldn't take nearly 50% of the price off. I'm not a dealership. I'm willing to move, but i'm not selling you a car i am asking $12K for for $6000.

Then come the trade offers. I need the cash for a DP on my next car, what the hell am I gonna do with a Jeep Wrangler? "Oh you could trade that in??" Yeah sure, your ratty jeep isn't gonna get my jack in trade.

Or the best was the kid who wanted to trade me a 4-wheeler and a $2K cash for mine. I live in Boston...where am I gonna keep a 4-wheeler?

And then in the end, they always insult you in their parting ways. They spend a few days emailing you about your car because they WANT it and then when you don't knock off half the price they insult you and the car. Nice

I'd rather lose $3-4K in trade in vs deal with that crap again

If I were able to spend 15k cash on any car I wanted I would strongly consider the OP's car. Insurance would be cheaper than on a termi. And there is the cool factor built into the car. Its a 1 of a kind really.

1991notchbackLX.. first let me say nice car. I like the fact that you built a very nice car that is ready for the track and has a solid drive train and is quite unique. however, i am going to have to agree with some of the guys saying it is nothing more then a modded gt. it is unique with the cobra drive train but that doesn't change much.

i know i don't post much on here, but knowing the guy personally who made the offer i feel like i need to say something. of the three stangs he offered, one of the notches is the cleanest notch i have seen in my area, aside from a few minor flaw to the exterior, the car is very nice. i'm not sure if he showed you pics or not of that one but it would have been something to look into a bit further. I also see that in you original post your did not mention that the 7up was stroked and blown (which should have know based on the pics and what he told you). its not just you average stock 7up car. the thing tears up tons of cars on the streets. i'm not talking civics either. i'm talking about built lightnings, cobras and camaros. a paint job, new front seats, and a new rag top would make the car look new again. i'm sure my opinion doesn't matter to you but the two cars together could farely yeild 10k easily and should probably get more. if you add his offer of 2k cash on top of that you've got a 12k offer. why not a counter offer from you??? i understand your bottom line is 15k, but again like others have said, its just a 99 gt, with some mods that don't change the value. I also believe the car has been through 6 owners which isn't helping much even considering it is 10 years old.

I do agree that his reply to you was a little out of line and could have been worded a little less harsh, but how about posting the apology he sent to you after that?? i think it was a little out of line for you to come out and publicly bash him like this even if you aren't saying who it is. these things were all said to you in private messaging and were meant to be kept that way. just move on and good luck with the sale

btw.. i have a built and whippled 02 lightning making 650/670 to the wheels, i'll trade it for your car and 10k:p

If I were able to spend 15k cash on any car I wanted I would strongly consider the OP's car. Insurance would be cheaper than on a termi. And there is the cool factor built into the car. Its a 1 of a kind really.

not really one of a kind. i would bet my life there is another built 4v 4.6 supercharged gt somewhere out there if not many

1991notchbackLX.. first let me say nice car. I like the fact that you built a very nice car that is ready for the track and has a solid drive train and is quite unique. however, i am going to have to agree with some of the guys saying it is nothing more then a modded gt. it is unique with the cobra drive train but that doesn't change much.

i know i don't post much on here, but knowing the guy personally who made the offer i feel like i need to say something. of the three stangs he offered, one of the notches is the cleanest notch i have seen in my area, aside from a few minor flaw to the exterior, the car is very nice. i'm not sure if he showed you pics or not of that one but it would have been something to look into a bit further. I also see that in you original post your did not mention that the 7up was stroked and blown (which should have know based on the pics and what he told you). its not just you average stock 7up car. the thing tears up tons of cars on the streets. i'm not talking civics either. i'm talking about built lightnings, cobras and camaros. a paint job, new front seats, and a new rag top would make the car look new again. i'm sure my opinion doesn't matter to you but the two cars together could farely yeild 10k easily and should probably get more. if you add his offer of 2k cash on top of that you've got a 12k offer. why not a counter offer from you??? i understand your bottom line is 15k, but again like others have said, its just a 99 gt, with some mods that don't change the value. I also believe the car has been through 6 owners which isn't helping much even considering it is 10 years old.

I do agree that his reply to you was a little out of line and could have been worded a little less harsh, but how about posting the apology he sent to you after that?? i think it was a little out of line for you to come out and publicly bash him like this even if you aren't saying who it is. these things were all said to you in private messaging and were meant to be kept that way. just move on and good luck with the sale

btw.. i have a built and whippled 02 lightning making 650/670 to the wheels, i'll trade it for your car and 10k:p

He didn't send me any form of apology. If he had I wouldn't have ever created this thread. He was rude and vague about the descriptions of all of his cars. There was no picture and no mention of this mythical third notch you speak so highly of. He even went so far as to say one of the notches he was trying to trade me was his stepbrother's. Where does he get off offering other people's cars up for trade? The bottom line is your friend was crude and tactless in his PMs to me, and took offense to the harshness of reality. That reality is that ALL THREE of his cars aren't worth anywhere near what mine is worth. I appreciate how tactfully you worded your response, and you're entitled to your opinion. Your friend could learn a thing or two from you as to how to approach people.

He didn't send me any form of apology. If he had I wouldn't have ever created this thread. He was rude and vague about the descriptions of all of his cars. There was no picture and no mention of this mythical third notch you speak so highly of. He even went so far as to say one of the notches he was trying to trade me was his stepbrother's. Where does he get off offering other people's cars up for trade? The bottom line is your friend was crude and tactless in his PMs to me, and took offense to the harshness of reality. That reality is that ALL THREE of his cars aren't worth anywhere near what mine is worth. I appreciate how tactfully you worded your response, and you're entitled to your opinion. Your friend could learn a thing or two from you as to how to approach people.

well, i can't say anything for sure about an apology, but he is a very close friend of mine and he wouldn't lie to me.. i think you jump a little to fast in making this public. its childish and the issue should have just been dropped.

I'm not trying to put you down or make you sound like a d-bag, i just feel making this public was not the right thing to do regardless of whether it was a friend of mine or not.. there are better ways to handle situations like this

Status
Not open for further replies.