Another clutch problem. I think?

frey_gt

Nov 15, 2005
Williamsburg,Oh
I am going to try to explain this the best I can. Well I just bought my car about a month ago. When I bought it the guy said the transmission was just rebuilt. But anyways... When I am going down the road the clutch pedal vibrates real bad. So bad that it is vibrating my dash. But if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal it doesn't vibrate my dash anymore but I can hear a squealing noise. The clutch isn't slipping...it grabs pretty good. Do think it is the TOB or maybe the pressure plate causing the vibration? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I dont see how it would be a TB,:shrug: Maybe a warped disk,Did the guy have the tranny done or did he do it himself.If he did it himself I could see him not installing the tranny right and warping the disk,Ive known several people that has done that.In my gt I had a vibration goin on after a tranny and clutch rebuild that was similar to your symptons but it was motor mounts,of which if they are bad enough would cause the clutch/tranny to get into a bind and cause vibrations.The only reason my would stop when I pushed in the clutch is that I was taking my foot off the gas and cause the motor not to be torquing over so there would then be NO bind.Its a simple check to see if they are bad or not...something to rule out anyway.

I dont see how it would be a TB,:shrug: Maybe a warped disk,Did the guy have the tranny done or did he do it himself.If he did it himself I could see him not installing the tranny right and warping the disk,Ive known several people that has done that.In my gt I had a vibration goin on after a tranny and clutch rebuild that was similar to your symptons but it was motor mounts,of which if they are bad enough would cause the clutch/tranny to get into a bind and cause vibrations.The only reason my would stop when I pushed in the clutch is that I was taking my foot off the gas and cause the motor not to be torquing over so there would then be NO bind.Its a simple check to see if they are bad or not...something to rule out anyway.

Yeah, the guy I bought it from took the tranny out and put it back in himself. But I will check out the motor mounts and see if they are bad or not when I get home from work today. Yep...something to rule out.

If it is tob the squealing should only happen when u push the pedal down and will only get worse .The vibration is typical mustang,(mine does it too)ive been told to replace cable with a new one and it should stop but idk.

The squealing is more than likely the throwout bearing. Mine is at the dealer right now getting a new clutch installed because I figured just do it while I am there so.

Squealing only happens when I rest my foot on the clutch pedal to stop it from vibrating when I am driving. Other than that it doesn't do it. I had a 94 GT before this one and the clutch pedal never vibrated at all.

I dont think the vibration is necessaricly normal, mine doesnt do it at all. One thing about the mustangs though is the clutch is cable driven not hydraulic so check your cables and all, check the stock quadrant. Make sure everything is ok then it could be something like an unbalanced flywheel too

the throw out bearing can't break the input shaft,and if your thinking of the pilot bearing,he would not be able to get it in gear

No it wouldnt break the shaft,but if it seizes and busts apart it can nick the shaft causing deeps cuts and burs that would cause a new TB to not properly slide the length of the shaft,therefore you woulld need a new shaft...so in a sense it would be a broken unusable shaft.Ive seen it happen/had it happen.If the pilot is on its way out it can squeal and you can still put it into gear.

No it wouldnt break the shaft,but if it seizes and busts apart it can nick the shaft causing deeps cuts and burs that would cause a new TB to not properly slide the length of the shaft,therefore you woulld need a new shaft...so in a sense it would be a broken unusable shaft.Ive seen it happen/had it happen.If the pilot is on its way out it can squeal and you can still put it into gear.

input bearing retainer is what the tob rides on,not the INPUT shaft