Another GT-40 Thread

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
GT-40 upgrades seems to be the big thing to do in terms of budget building so i jumped on the wagon and have started collecting parts for a build i plan to start in 4 weeks. so far ive got

GT-40P heads
GT-40 Upper & lower intake (ported to match TB)
BBK 75mm Throttle Body w/ Spacer

I plan to buy:
24# injectors
CAI (not sure of what brand yet)
Camshaft (not sure of size or brand yet)
new valvesprings to handle larger cam
80mm MAF

Tune if it is nessisary?

Ive got mac headers (non P specific) that i have been told will clear the sparkplugs so i hopefully wont have to buy the p specific headers

basically im looking for help picking out Cold Air and a cam
i know cold air isnt nessisary a huge decision but im curious what others use besides the obvious BBK and K&N

Also help picking out a cam would be appreciated, im looking for a badass sound but dont want it at the cost of performance. i plan to use the stock 1.6 rockers unless 1.7s are nessisary
Also if anyone running close to this same set up could post some 1/4 mile times id love to know a rough guess as to what im lookin at.

a lot of questions i know but this is the farthest ive gone with the car and want to make sure its done right.

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on the trick flow stage 1 cam, I use the anderson Power Pipe (4" na version) It looks nice, in the fender for cool air. I use a Pro-M 77mm mass air with the pipe. Easy install too.

You'll go low 13's and your headers aren't going to work, i am guessing the seller told you they would work on gt40p heads, they just tell you that so you can get them out of their garage. Anderson makes a nice "CAI" just dont get a C&L MAF.

any reason that you are stuck pn P heads? gt40's will do you just as well and you wont have to swap headers...

I run the TFS 1 as well and I love it.

+ 1 on the TFS 1 cam, that's what I run with my GT40's.

I picked up a $40 CAI on eBay since my airbox wasn't in the best of shape, it looks and works just as good as the BBK at a fraction of the cost. People seem to like the Anderson power pipes... something to think about if its in your budget.

i decided to stick with the stock 1.6 rrs and get an anderson power pipe but my only concern is the tfs stage 1 cam seems to have a very quiet lope to it and i am looking for a more aggressive sounding cam, if its the best cam performance wise for my setup then ill definitly go with but im curious if any one has any other cams in mind that will perform the same with a more aggressive sound? also is the tfs 1 a good cam to run with a 100 shot?

+ 1 on the TFS 1 cam, that's what I run with my GT40's.

I picked up a $40 CAI on eBay since my airbox wasn't in the best of shape, it looks and works just as good as the BBK at a fraction of the cost. People seem to like the Anderson power pipes... something to think about if its in your budget.

are you running the regular 40's and were is ure power band at??

i would stick with factory air box and k&n..maybe use a powerpipe. cai doesent really do anything but possibly mess up the maf sensor.
Posted via Mobile Device

only reason cai mess with the maf is the bend most of them have before the maf. need to have an atleast 6" straight section before the MAF. if your creative you can move the Maf to the fender and do away with the bends before the maf. but it requires you have the filter pointing down and then have 2 bends directly after it if i remember right. i like to stick with just a large open filter behind the head light. with the older 99-04's (im sure 94-98 also just harder to remove head lights)you could run a "gutted" head light and have a nice direct air flow into the filter from the outside